The antibacterial finish of cotton via sols containing quaternary ammonium salts
The sols containing quaternary ammonium salts were prepared via sol-gel process. The effects of the molar rate of HCl, H2O and EtOH to TEOS on the sol viscosity were investigated in detail. Cetyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB), Octadecyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (DC) and Ethylene-Bis (Octadecyl trimethyl ammonium chloride) [E-Bis(OTAC)]were added in the sols and applied to cotton samples by treated. The antibacterial activities of the samples were assessed against both Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. The samples treated by E-Bis(OTAC) sol exhibited the satisfactory antibacterial activity that resulted from the more microorganism adsorption and hydrophobicity. The antibacterial activities were still excellent after 10 times washings comparison with the control samples.
KeywordsQuaternary ammonium salts Sol-gel Viscosity Antibacterial activity Durability
We are grateful to the financial support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 20674031) and the Program of Key Laboratory of Eco-Textile (Jiangnan University).
- 1.Mucha H, Höfer D (2002) Melliand Int 8:148–151Google Scholar
- 5.Ascenzi JM (1996) Handbook of Disinfectants and Antiseptics. Marcel Dekker Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 18.Gao Y, Cranston R (2008) Text Res J 1:65Google Scholar
- 23.Węgrzyńska J, Chlebicki J, Maliszewska I (2006) Pol J Chem Technol 8:59Google Scholar
- 24.Węgrzyńska J, Chlebicki J (2006) J Surfact Deterg 9:22Google Scholar