A novel approach for extraction of plutonium and americium from aqueous complexing media
- 106 Downloads
A new approach for the extraction of plutonium and americium from aqueous media containing complexing ligands has been investigated using a new extractant N,N′-dioctyl-α-hydroxy acetamide. Studies have been carried out on the extraction of Am(III) and Pu(IV) by this extractant from media containing complexing ligands such as PO43−, C2O42− and F− which are difficult to extract due to the non-extractability of the complexed form of these metal ions. Present study has revealed that, addition of non-complexing anions such as ClO4−, I−, SCN− into the medium containing complexing ligand greatly enhanced extraction of Pu(IV) and Am(III), making the extraction of these nuclides possible.
KeywordsExtraction Plutonium Americium Hydroxy acetamide Radio-active waste
The authors wish to thank Dr. B.S. Tomar, Former Group Director of RC & IG for his constant encouragement during this work.
- 1.Ryan JL, Wheelwright EJ (1959) Recovery, purification and concentration of plutonium by anion exchange in nitric acid. Hanford Report HW-55893Google Scholar
- 4.Rao CL, Nair GM, Singh NP, Ramaniah MV, Srinivasan N (1971) Indirect potentiometric method for the determination of plutonium. Z Anal Chem 254:127Google Scholar
- 7.Facer JF, Harmon KM Jr (1854) Precipitation of Pu(IV) oxalate. USAEC Rept. HW-31186 (Del)Google Scholar
- 8.Stoller SM, Richards RB (eds) (1961) Reactor handbook, vol II, 2nd edn. Interscience Publishers Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 10.Horwitz EP, Schulz WW (1991) The TRUEX process: a vital toll for disposal of US defense nuclear waste. Elsevier, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 19.Pratibha T, Kumaresan R, Selvan BR, Vankatesan KA, Antony MP, Rao PRV (2016) N,N′-dialkyl-2-hydroxyacetamides for modifier free separation of trivalent actinides from nitric acid medium. Radiochim Acta 104:173Google Scholar
- 20.Selvan BR, Pratibha T, Vankatesan KA, Antony MP, Rao PRV (2015) A new 2-oxy-N,N′-dioctylacetamide grafted resin for the separation of trivalent actinides from nitric acid medium. Radiochim Acta 103:91Google Scholar