Selective extraction of plutonium(IV) over uranium(VI), americium(III), europium(III) and zirconium(IV) with bidentate O-phenoxydiamide ligands: experimental and theoretical study
- 135 Downloads
The performance of a series of novel O-phenoxydiamides extracting Zr(IV), Eu(III), U(VI), Pu(IV) and Am(III) was studied. The result of extraction experiments showed that the coordination abilities of these five congeneric O-phenoxydiamides decrease in the order of CycleDODA > PhenylDODA > ButylDODA > HexylDODA > BenzoDODA, the abilities of different metal ions coordinating with the same ligand decrease in the order of Pu(IV) ≫ U(VI) > Zr(IV), Eu(III), Am(III). At HNO3 concentration of 5.0 mol/L, the distribution ratio of BenzoDODA/n-dodecane extracting Pu(IV) is much larger than those of other metal ions, the separation factors of Pu(IV) over Eu(III), Zr(IV), U(VI) and Am(III) are between 20 and 300, which can be used for recovering Pu(IV) selectively from highly acidic liquid waste. The density functional theory (DFT) calculation of the 25 complexes in geometrical structure, Mayer bond order (MBO) and energy was further studied, the result is consistent with the experimental result.
KeywordsSelective extraction Plutonium(IV) O-phenoxydiamide DFT calculation
This work was supported by the Major Program “Research on Actinide Chemistry in the Complex System of Spent Fuel Reprocessing” of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant 21790370).
- 8.Ruhela R, Panja S, Tomar BS, Mahajanc MA, Sawantc RM, Tripathib SC, Singha AK, Gandhib PM, Hublia RC, Suria AK (2012) Bis-(2-ethylhexyl) carbamoyl methoxy phenoxy-bis-(2-ethylhexyl) acetamide [BenzoDODA]—first selective extractant for plutonium(IV) recovery (SEPUR) from acidic media. Tetrahedron Lett 53(40):5434–5436CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Frisch MJ, et al (2009) Gaussian 09, Revision A.1, Gaussian, Inc., Wallingford CTGoogle Scholar
- 27.Frisch A, Nielsen AB, Holder AJ (2000) Gaussview Users Manual. Gaussian Inc, PittsburgGoogle Scholar
- 30.Verma PK, Kumari N, Pathak PN, Sadhu B, Sundararajan M, Aswal VK, Mohapatra PK (2014) Investigations on preferential Pu(IV) extraction over U(VI) by N,N-dihexyloctanamide versus tri-n-butyl phosphate: evidence through small angle neutron scattering and DFT studies. J Phys Chem A 118(22):3996–4004CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Cramer RE, Edelmann F, Mori AL, Roth S, Gilje JW, Tatsumi K, Nakamura A (1988) Preparation, structure, and bonding in an organoactinide imide, Cp3AnNPPh3 (An = uranium, thorium): a comparison of the bonding of uranium to nitrogen- and oxygen-donor ligands. Organometallics 7(4):841–849CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Zhang JP, Chang L, Ouyang YG (2010) Effect of temperature, acidity and uranium saturation on distribution coefficient of Pu(IV) in 30%TBP/OK-HNO3 system. Ann Rep China Inst Atom Energy 1:283–284Google Scholar