Release of 137Cs from plant mass in course of biodegradation
This investigation was focused on the role of humic acid-like compounds during the biodegradation of plant mass contaminated with 137Cs. The experiments were set up to distinguish cases of external and internal contamination. The results showed that 137Cs was associated with humic acid-like compounds in eluates from biomass and especially with their lighter fraction. The 137Cs in detritus was markedly mobile and only minor amounts were retained in biomass. These two variants differed in the rate of 137Cs release: while in the internally contaminated biomass the rate decreased during composting, in the externally contaminated biomass the rate increased.
KeywordsRadiocesium Humic acids Biodegradation Plant biomass
C2TN/IST authors gratefully acknowledge the FCT support through the ID/Multi/04349/2013 project.
- 1.Jouve A, Schulte EH (1991) Waste management of contaminated crops after a LWR accident. Waste Management’91, Tucson, USA, 24Google Scholar
- 4.Soderlund M, Lusa M, Lehto J, Hakanen M, Vaaramaa K, Lahdenpera AM (2011) Sorption of iodine, chlorine, technetium and cesium in soil. Posiva, FinlandGoogle Scholar
- 6.Edmonds RL (1990) Organic matter decomposition in western United State forest. In: Symposium on Management and Productivity of Western-Montane Forest Soils. Boise, April 10–12Google Scholar
- 8.Laborda F, Bolea E, Gorriz MP, Martin-Ruiz MP, Rui-Begueria S, Castillo JR (2008) A speciation methodology to study the contributions of humic-like and fulvic-like acids to the mobilization of metals from compost using size exclusion chromatography–ultraviolet absorption–inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry and deconvolution analysis. Anal Chim Acta 606:1–8CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Shaw S, Green N, Hammond D, Woodman R (2001) Management option for food production systems affected by a nuclear accident: radionuclide behaviour during composting. NRPB, DidcotGoogle Scholar
- 22.Purmalis O, Klavins M (2013) Comparative study of peat humic acids by using UV spectroscopy. In: 1st Annual International Interdisciplinary Conference, Azores, Portugal, 24–26 April 2013Google Scholar