Rapid method to determine plutonium isotopes in steel samples
- 111 Downloads
The rapid measurement of plutonium isotopes in steel samples is very important in the event of a radiological emergency as well as for the characterization of nuclear decommissioning samples. A new method for the determination of plutonium isotopes in steel samples has been developed at the Savannah River Environmental Laboratory. The new method employs a rugged acid digestion method that includes hydrofluoric acid, followed by a single preconcentration step to rapidly preconcentrate the plutonium isotopes and remove most of the dissolved steel sample matrix. A fusion option improves ruggedness when soil or concrete is present and can be implemented after the steel dissolution. The Pu isotopes are separated using an extraction chromatographic resin and measured by alpha spectrometry. The method can also be adapted for measurement by inductively-coupled plasma mass spectrometry. This approach has a sample preparation time of 6–8 h for steel samples.
KeywordsRapid method Digestion Decommissioning Steel Plutonium Emergency
This work was performed under the auspices of the Department of Energy, DOE Contract No. DE-AC09-08SR22470. The authors wish to acknowledge Becky Chavous for her assistance with this work.
- 3.A procedure for the rapid determination of plutonium isotopes and Am-141 in soil and sediment samples by alpha spectrometry. http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/IAEA-AQ-11_web.pdf. Accessed 22 March 2017
- 4.Vajda N, Törvényi A, Kis-Benedek G, Kim CK, Bene B, Mácsik Z (2009) Rapid method for the determination of actinides in soil and sediment samples by alpha spectrometry. Radiochim Acta 97:395–401Google Scholar
- 7.European Metrology Research Programme, JRP ENV 09, metrology for radioactive waste management. http://www.radwaste-emrp.eu/?page_id=10
- 11.Hou X, Qiao J, Miro M, Roos P (2009) Determination of plutonium isotopes in waters and environmental solids: a review. Anal Chim Acta 652(2009):66–84Google Scholar
- 12.Tavčar P, Jakopič R, Benedik L (2005) Sequential determination of 241Am, 237Np, Pu radioisotopes and 90Sr in soil and sediment samples. Acta Chim Slov 52:60–66Google Scholar
- 14.Horwitz EP, Dietz ML, Chiarizia R, Diamond H, Maxwell SL III, Nelson M (1995) Separation and preconcentration of actinides by extraction chromatography using a supported liquid anion exchanger: application to the characterization of high-level nuclear waste solutions. Anal Chim Acta 310:63–78CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rapid radiochemical method for plutonium-238 and plutonium-239/240 in building materials for environmental remediation following radiological incident (2014). https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-06/documents/pu-238-239_in_building_materials_rev_0_402r14006.pdf
- 18.Rapid method for sodium hydroxide/sodium peroxide fusion of radioisotope thermoelectric generator materials in water and air filter matrices prior to plutonium analyses for environmental remediation following radiological incident (2014). https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-06/documents/rtg_dissolution_by_fusion_rev_0_402r14003.pdf. Accessed 28 March 2017