Citizen-based environmental radiation monitoring network
- 92 Downloads
This paper discusses a Citizen Radiation Monitoring project designed and implemented by the Natural Resources Defense Council . The goal of the project was to implement a radiation monitoring system that provides radiation data accessible to the public. The monitoring system consisted of usage of a radiation detector integrated with near real-time data collection and visualization. The monitoring systems were installed at five different locations and background radiation measurements were taken. The developed monitoring system demonstrated that citizen-based monitoring system could provide accessible radiation data to the general public and relevant to the area where they live.
KeywordsCitizen science Environmental radiation monitoring Real-time data communication
Funding for the Citizen Radiation Monitoring Project was provided by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
- 2.Abe Y (2014) Safecast or the Production of Collective Intelligence on Radiation Risks after 3.11. Asia-Pacific J 12(7):1–11Google Scholar
- 3.Knoll GF (2010) Radiation detection and measurement. Wiley, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Tsoulfanidis N (2013) Measurement and detection of radiation. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hawk radius product description and technical specification. https://medcom.com/product/hawk-radius/. Accessed 29 Aug 2017
- 6.Pinoccio hardware reference. https://github.com/Pinoccio. Accessed 29 Aug 2017
- 7.The future of pinoccio. https://pinocc.io/blog/open-source-hardware-business/the-future-of-pinoccio/. Accessed 26 May 2016
- 8.Ahmed S (2015) Physics and engineering of radiation detection, 2nd edn. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar