Separation of no-carrier-added 97Ru from 11B-induced Y target by encapsulation of 97Ru into calcium alginate hydrogel beads
- 87 Downloads
97Ru radioisotope, a promising candidate for radiopharmaceutical applications was produced by natY(11B,3n) 97Ru reaction with 40 MeV projectile energy. Calcium alginate (CA) hydrogel beads, an environmentally benign matrix, were used for separation of no-carrier-added (NCA) 97Ru from the bulk yttrium target through adsorption–desorption experiments with a high separation factor (S Ru/Y = 2.6 × 104). It was also possible to encapsulate high purity 97Ru in CA hydrogel beads.
Keywords97Ru No-carrier-added Calcium alginate hydrogel, separation
We are thankful to the staff of BARC-TIFR pelletron, and the target laboratory of TIFR, Mumbai, for their cooperation and help. One of the authors(Kangkana Sarkar) gratefully acknowledges the University Grants Commission (UGC) for providing necessary fellowship. This work is a part of SINP-DAE 12 Five years plan project Trace and Ultratrace Analysis and Isotope Production (TULIP).
- 12.http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart [Accessed on 01 Aug 2017]
- 13.Schachner EA, Gil MC, Atkins HL, Som P, Srivastava SC, Badia J, Sacker DF, Fairchild RG, Richards P (1981) Ruthenium-97 hepatobiliary agents for delayed studies of the biliary tract I: 97Ru PIPIDA. J Nucl Med 22:352–357Google Scholar
- 14.Richards P, Srivastava S C, George E (1984) Complex of transferrin with ruthenium for medical applications. US patent, 4,448,762, May 15Google Scholar
- 16.Oster ZH, Som P, Gil MC, Fairchild RG, Goldman AG, Schachner ER, Sacker DF, Atkins HL, Meinken GE, Srivastava SC, Richards P, Brill AB (1981) Ruthenium-97 DTPA: a new radiopharmaceutical for cisternography. J Nucl Med 22:269–273Google Scholar
- 20.Comar D, Crouzel C (1976) Ruthenium-97 preparation with a compact cyclotron. Radiochem Radioanal Lett 27:307–312Google Scholar
- 25.Maiti M, Lahiri S (2011) Production and separation of 97Ru from 7Li activated natural niobium. RadiochimActa 99:359–364Google Scholar
- 31.Verweij W, ‘CHEAQS PRO’(2005) A program for calculating chemical equilibria in aquatic systems. http://home.tiscali.nl/cheaqs/
- 35.Hassana R, Zaafarany I, Gobouri AA (2013) Temperature-dependence of electrical conductivity for some natural coordination polymeric biomaterials especially cross-linked tetravalent metal-alginate complexes with correlation between the coordination geometry and complex stability. Adv Biosens Bioelectron 2:16–24Google Scholar