Evaluation of pyridinium-based bifunctional resins for the separation of Pu(IV) from acidic solutions
- 66 Downloads
Bifunctional resins having pyridinium and methyl ammonium-based dicationic groups, separated by a five carbon spacer, have been prepared by chemical modification of Reillex™ 402 poly(4-vinyl pyridine). Batch sorption studies carried out for the three resins (I, II, III), which differ by degree of functionalization and physical form, revealed very fast kinetics, with III having highest K D value (650 at 7.5 M). The capacity of III was 4.5 meq/g. The resin was selective for Pu sorption from nitric acid medium having assorted metal ions and the Pu content of resultant raffinate was below the disposal limit. Column experiments with III show fast loading and elution of Pu(IV).
KeywordsPlutonium Bifunctional resin Distribution ratio Selectivity Nitric acid
Authors gratefully acknowledge the support from Dr. S. Chattopadhyay, Head, Bio-Organic Division, BARC during this work.
- 3.Ion Exchange Technology in the Nuclear Fuel Cycle. IAEA-TECDOC-365, 1986Google Scholar
- 8.Ryan JL, Wheelwright EJ (1959) The recovery, purification, and concentration of plutonium by anion exchange in nitric acid HW-55893Google Scholar
- 10.Charyulu MM, Pawar SM, Ray M, Nagi S, Sivaramakrishna CK (1986) The plutonium loading and elution behaviour of the resin Tulsion A-27 (MP). In: Radiochemistry and Radiation Chemistry Symposium held at Tirupati, December 13–17, pp. 347–349Google Scholar
- 12.Marsh SF (1990) The effects of ionizing radiation on Reillex TM HPQ, a new macroporous polyvinylpyridine resin, and on four conventional polystyrene anion exchange resins LA–11912Google Scholar
- 13.Bartenev SA, Zachinyaev GM, Nazin ER, Lazarev LN, Kalashnikov VM, Romanovskii VN, Strelkov SA, Firsin NG, Egorov GF, Hyder ML (2002) Radiation-chemical resistance of anion exchangers safety of sorption processes in nitric acid solutions: III. radiation-chemical resistance of VP-1AP anion exchanger. Radiochemistry 44(2):157–165CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Marsh SF, Veirs DK, Gordan DJ, Barr ME, Moody EW (2000) Molecularly engineered reins for Pu recovery. Los Alamos Sci 26:463Google Scholar
- 17.Furniss BS, Hannaford AJ, Smith PWG, Tatchell AR (2008) Vogel’s textbook of practical organic chemistry, 1,5-dibromopentane from tetrahydropyran. Pearson, London, p 563Google Scholar