Aluminum determination by instrumental neutron activation analysis in tree barks
- 104 Downloads
Neutron activation analysis (NAA) for Al determination in tree bark samples containing phosphorus and silicon was studied. The contributions of the 31P(n,α)28Al and 28Si(n,p)28Al reactions to the 27Al(n,γ)28Al reaction were corrected determining interference correction factors. Analytical quality control was evaluated by analyzing certified reference materials. The results presented good accuracy and precision. Replicate Al determinations in bark samples showed relative standard deviations ranging from 4.2 to 10.5%. The detection limits were lower than the mass fractions found in the samples, demonstrating the possibility to apply NAA in Al determinations in tree barks for biomonitoring studies and purposes.
KeywordsAluminum Neutron activation analysis Tree barks Interferences
Authors wish to thank the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) and the Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), from Brazil for financial support. The author A. Noyori is grateful for a fellowship from the Brazilian Nuclear Energy Commission.
- 2.Goyer RA, Clarkson TW (2001) Toxic effects of metals. In: Klaassen CD (ed) Casarett and Doull’s toxicology: the basic science of poison, 6th edn. MacGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Sun DH, Waters JK, Mawhinney TP (1997) Microwave digestion for determination of aluminum, boron, and other elements in plants by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry. J AOAC Int 80:647–650Google Scholar
- 15.Carvalho-Oliveira R, Amato-Lourenço LF, Moreira TCP, Silva DRR, Vieira BD, Mauad T, Saiki M, Saldiva PHN (2017) Effectiveness of traffic-related elements in tree bark and pollen abortion rates for assessing air pollution exposure on respiratory mortality rates. Environ Int 99:161–169CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.CETESB—Companhia Ambiental do Estado de São Paulo, Qualar—Qualidade do ar, http://ar.cetesb.sp.gov.br/qualar/. Accessed 27 Feb. 2016
- 17.CETESB—Companhia Ambiental do Estado de São Paulo. Material particulado inalável fino (MP2,5) e grosso (MP2,5-10) na atmosfera da Região Metropolitana de São Paulo (2000–2006), 2008. http://ar.cetesb.sp.gov.br/publicacoes-relatorios/. Accessed 10 Mar 2016
- 19.De Soete D, Gijbels R, Hoste J (1972) Neutron activation analysis. Willey-Interscince, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Wasim M (2013) Interferences in instrumental neutron activation analysis by threshold reactions and uranium fission for miniature neutron source reactor. Radiochim Acta 101:601–606Google Scholar