Development of continuous inflow tritium measurement in water technology using electrolysis and a plastic scintillator
- 162 Downloads
Our goal was to develop a mobile tritium monitor for continuous inflow system for water sample. The system is based on electrolysis and a plastic scintillator detection system. The minimum detectable activity (MDA) of the prototype system is 431 kBq L−1, while the MDA of a commercially available product is 740 kBq L−1. We expected to achieve a 5.73-times lower MDA by optimizing detection geometry using a multi-hydrogen-gas-channel. The system can be applied either as a mobile leakage surveying method or as a fixed-type monitor for detecting tritium in drinking water by adapting conventional background reduction technologies.
KeywordsElectrolysis Tritium Continuous monitoring Plastic scintillator Minimum detectable activity
This work was supported by the Industrial Technology Innovation Program (2016520101340, Real-time Underwater Tritium Monitoring Technology by Electrolysis) funded by the Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP, Korea) and supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant, funded by the Korean government (MSIP: Ministry of Science, ICT, and Future Planning) (Nos. 2016M2B2B1945083 and NRF-22A20153413555).
- 6.Douglas M, Bernacki BE, Erchinger JL, Finn EC, Fuller ES, Hoppe EW, Keillor ME, Morley SM, Mullen CA, Orrell JL, Panisko ME, Warren GA, Wright ME (2016) Liquid scintillation counting of environmental radionuclides: a review of the impact of background reduction. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 307(3):2495–2504CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Monitor of tritium in air (2017) Canberra Industries. http://www.canberra.com/fr/produits/env_rad_monitoring/tritium-air-monitors.asp. Accessed 24 May 2017
- 8.Tritium online analyzer DTionix (2017) Premium Analyse. http://www.premium-analyse.com/en/online-analyzers.php. Accessed 24 May 2017
- 11.Mace EK, Aalseth CE, Day AR, Hoppe EW, Keillor ME, Moran JJ, Panisko ME, Seifert A, Tatishvili G, Williams RM (2016) First results of a simultaneous measurement of tritium and C-14 in an ultra-low-background proportional counter for environmental sources of methane. J Environ Radioact 155:122–129CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Tritium in water monitor real time continuous (2017) Technical Associates. http://www.tech-associates.com/product-info/LIQ-X-(H3).pdf. Accessed 24 May 2017
- 13.Cember H, Johnson TE (2009) Introduction to heath physics, 4th edn. Mc Graw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Butarbutar SL, Sanguanmith S, Meesungnoen J, Causey P, Stuart CR, Jay-Gerin JP (2014) Self-radiolysis of tritiated water. 2. Density dependence of the yields of primary species formed in the radiolysis of supercritical water by tritium beta-particles at 400 °C. Rsc Adv 4(44):22980–22988CrossRefGoogle Scholar