Optimization of the liquid scintillation counting technique for the European interlaboratory comparison on gross α/β activity concentrations in water
A liquid scintillation counting (LSC) measurement method optimization for the gross α/β activity analysis in drinking waters with different chemical and radionuclide composition was performed. The optimized method was suitable to provide gross radioactivity results in drinking waters with the levels of the accuracy and precision similar to those obtained using other radioactivity screening techniques. Robust LSC results contributed to the calculation of gross α/β activity reference values of EC-JRC interlaboratory comparison water samples in 2012. Some of the most common errors in the determination of the gross radioactivity using the LSC are presented.
KeywordsGross α/β activity concentration Liquid scintillation counting Drinking water Interlaboratory comparison
The authors would like to specially thank Dr. Timotheos Altzitzoglou (retired from EC JRC-Geel) for the valuable advices and discussions that helped to considerably improve the work and for his technical support by providing the working measurement infrastructure.
- 1.Jobbágy V, Altzitzoglou T, Hult M, Malo P, Wätjen U, Merešová J (2016) Evaluation of the 2012 EC interlaboratory comparison on gross alpha/beta activity concentration in drinking water. EUR 28351 EN. doi: 10.2789/573272
- 2.EURATOM Treaty Consolidated Version of the Treaty Establishing the European Atomic Energy Community (2010/C 84/01) (2010) Article 35–36Google Scholar
- 4.ISO 11704 (2010) Water quality: measurement of gross alpha and beta activity concentration in non-saline water-liquid scintillation counting method. International Organization for Standardization, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 5.Stojković I, Tenjović B, Nikolov J, Todorović N (2015) Radionuclide, scintillation cocktail and chemical/color quench influence on discriminator setting in gross alpha/beta measurements by LSC. Appl Radiat Isot 144:41–46Google Scholar
- 7.Rožkov A, Kahraman G (2013) Counting efficiencies of gross alpha/beta radioactivity in drinking water. In: LSC-2013 advances in liquid scintillation spectrometry, 2013, Barcelona, SpainGoogle Scholar
- 8.ISO, IEC Guide 98-3 (2008) Uncertainty of measurement—Part 3: guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement (GUM:1995). International Organization for Standardization, GenevaGoogle Scholar