The comparison of scintillation properties of YAP:Ce, YAG:Ce and ZnO:Ga powders as a potential substitution of LSC cocktail
- 145 Downloads
The work investigates the possibility of substitution of a traditional liquid scintillation cocktail by a scintillation powder with grain size up to 30 μm. Based on previous research, YAP:Ce, YAG:Ce and ZnO:Ga powders were selected. The parameters, which often affect the measurement, were tested, such as pH and OH−, geometry, efficiency and activity linearity dependency, the amount of scintillator as well as secondary parameters such as afterglow, temperature dependency and repeatable usage. All parameters were simultaneously tested and compared with an AquaLight scintillation cocktail.
KeywordsYAP:Ce YAG:Ce ZnO:Ga Solid scintillator LSC Substitution of liquid scintillation cocktail
The author of the article would like to express his gratitude to the company Crytur Ltd. for the lending of YAP:Ce scintillation powder. Also I would like to thank Vaclav Cuba and Jan Barta from CTU in Prague for lending YAG:Ce powder and for some technical advices.
- 1.Lecoq P, Gektin A, Korzhik M (2016) Inorganic scintillators for detector systems: physical principles and crystal engineering. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Nikolopoulos D, Valais I, Kandarakis I, Cavouras D, Linardatos D, Sianoudis I, Louizi A, Dimitropoulos N, Vattis D, Episkopakis A, Panayiotakis G, Nomicos C (2006) Evaluation of the GSO: Ce scintillator in the X-ray energy range from 40 to 140 kV for possible applications in medical X-ray imaging. Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res Sect A 560(2):577–583CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mares JA, Nikl M, Solovieva N, D’Ambrosio C, De Notaristefani F, Blazek K, Maly P, Nejezchleb K, Fabeni P, Pazzi GP, van Eijk CWE, Dorenbos P, De Haas JTM (2003) Scintillation and spectroscopic properties of Ce 3+-doped YAlO 3 and Lu x (RE) 1 − x AlO 3 (RE = Y 3+ and Gd 3+) scintillators. Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res Sect A 498(1):312–327CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Scintillations materials data. Crytur. http://www.crytur.cz/pages/33/scintillation-materials-data. Accessed on 18 March 2016
- 16.Bertetti P, Pabalan R, Pickett D, Turner D (2011) Radionuclide sorption technical assistance activities at the center for nuclear waste regulatory analyses. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1124/ML112490545.pdf. Accessed 1 July 2017