Determination of radionuclidic impurities in 99mTc eluate from 99Mo/99mTc generator for quality control
- 158 Downloads
Technetium-99m is the principal radioisotope used in medical diagnostics; radionuclidic impurity is the major concern of its quality. This work presents a analytical method for sequential determination of all radionuclidic impurities listed in pharmacopoeia including gamma emitters, alpha emitters, 89Sr and 90Sr. Radioactive decay for removal of 99mTc, ion exchange and extraction chromatography for removal of 99Mo and 99Tc are effective for separation of interferences. Gamma spectrometry, LSC with alpha/beta discrimination, and Cherenkov counting using LSC are sensitive methods for measurement of the impurity radionuclides. The detection limits of this method are well meet the requirement of the quality control according to the limitation of the pharmacopoeia.
KeywordsRadionuclidic impurity 99Mo/99mTc generator Ion exchange Extraction chromatography Liquid scintillation counting Alpha–beta discrimination Cherenkov counting
The author acknowledges prof. Mikael Jensen and Dr. Sven P. Nielsen from DTU Nutech for their suggestions and discussion during the method development. Dr. Dannis Ringkjøbing Elema helped to obtain and calibrate radionuclide standards.
- 3.Directorate for the Quality of Medicine and Healthcare, Council of Europe (2014) Sodium pertechnetate (99mTc) injection (fission), p 1090. European Pharmacopoeia-8.0, Strasbourg Cedex. http://online6.edqm.eu/ep800/
- 4.United States Pharmacopeial Convention (2005) Official monographs: USP 28, sodium pertechnetate Tc-99m injection, p 1861. United States Pharmacopeia (USP) 28 (NF) 23Google Scholar
- 5.Andrade WG, Lima FF (2009) Evaluation of the eluate quality of 99Mo-99mTc generator in Receife, Brazil, International Nuclear Atlantic Conference - INAC 2009, Rio de Janeiro, 27 September–2 OctoberGoogle Scholar
- 6.UAMS, College of Pharmacy, Nuclear pharmacy, Quality control procedure for free pertechnetate-99m. http://nuclearpharmacy.uams.edu/proc1.htm
- 12.Johansson L, Mattsson S (1980) Plutonium in technetium-99m labeled pertechnetate for clinic use. J Nucl Med 21(11):1091–1094Google Scholar
- 13.Directorate for the Quality of Medicine and Healthcare, Council of Europe (2014) Sodium molybdate (99Mo) solution (fission), p 1088. European Pharmacopoeia-8.0, Strasbourg CedexGoogle Scholar