Characterization of the homologs of flerovium with crown ether based extraction chromatography resins: studies in nitric acid
Eichrom’s Pb resin, a crown-ether-based extraction chromatography resin, was characterized for separation of the flerovium (Fl) homologs, Pb and Sn. Batch uptake of Pb(II) and Sn(IV) radionuclides was determined from an HNO3 matrix. Pb(II) was strongly retained on the resin at all HNO3 concentrations, while Sn(IV) showed no uptake. Extraction kinetics for Pb(II) were examined and show suitable uptake on the second time scale. Separation methods for the isolation of individual homologs, Pb(II) and Sn(IV), have been established using 2 mL pre-packed vacuum flow Pb resin columns.
KeywordsMacrocycles Crown ethers Extraction chromatography Flerovium Homologs Heavy element
The authors would like to thank the CAMS facility staff at LLNL, specifically Scott Tumey, Thomas Brown and Graham Bench for providing beam time and expertise to the production of radionuclides used in this study. This study was performed under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Energy by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344. This work was funded by the Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program at LLNL under Project tracking code 11-ERD-011, as well as by the LLNL Livermore Graduate Scholar Program.
- 1.Despotopulos JD, Kmak KN, Gharibyan N, Henderson RA, Moody KJ, Shaughnessy DA, Sudowe R (2016) Characterization of the homologs of flerovium with crown ether based extraction chromatography resins: studies in hydrochloric acid. J Radioanal Nucl Chem. doi: 10.1007/s10967-016-4917-z
- 5.Nervik WE (1960) The radiochemistry of tin. Subcommittee on Radiochemistry, National Acadamy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 6.Gibson WM (1961) The radiochemistry of lead. Subcommittee on Radiochemistry, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 7.Despotopulos JD (2015) Studies of flerovium and element 115 homologs with macrocyclic extractants (Doctoral dissertation), vol 3715057. ProQuest, Ann Arbor, p. 224Google Scholar
- 8.Rieman W, Walton HF (1970) Ion exchange in analytical chemistry. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 9.Despotopulos JD, Kmak KN, Gharibyan N, Brown TA, Grant PM, Henderson RA, Moody KJ, Tumey SJ, Shaughnessy DA, Sudowe R (2015) Production and isolation of carrier-free homologs of flerovium and element 115 at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Center for accelerator mass spectrometry. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 308:567–572CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.National Nuclear Data Center, “NNDC,” Brookhaven National Llaboratory. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/. Accessed 16 Dec 2013
- 12.Greenwood NN, Earnshaw A (1984) Chemistry of the elements. Pergamon Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar