Radionuclide contents and their correlation with radon-thoron exhalation in soil samples from mineralized zone of Himachal Pradesh, India
- 154 Downloads
The radionuclides have been evaluated by utilizing NaI(Tl) gamma spectrometric technique from soil samples, mainly used in construction purposes. Radium equivalent activity from soil samples has been found within the range of 115–196 Bq/kg. Annual effective dose for indoor and outdoor environment has been found below the safe limit of 1 mSv/y for inhabitants. Scintillation based radon and thoron monitor have been utilized for measurement of radon and thoron exhalation rates. A positive correlation is observed between 238U concentration and 222Rn mass exhalation rates and also for 232Th concentration and 220Rn surface exhalation rates.
KeywordsGamma spectrometry Uranium Effective dose Radon Thoron Exhalation rate
The authors are thankful to the Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India, for providing financial assistance (Sanction no. 2011/36/27-BRNS) and also grateful to the residents of Hamirpur for their cooperation.
- 1.UNSCEAR (2000) United Nations Scientific Committee on the effects of atomic radiation, Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. United Nations, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.UNSCEAR (2008) United Nations Scientific Committee on the effects of atomic radiation.Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. United Nations, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Virk HS, Kumar N, Sharma N, Bajwa BS (1998) Alpha-Guard radon survey in soil-gas and dwellings of some uranium-rich areas of Himachal Pradesh, India. Curr Sci 75:430–431Google Scholar
- 8.Diab HM, Nouh SA, Hamdy A, El-Fiki SA (2008) Evaluation of natural radioactivity in a cultivated area around a fertilizer factory. J Nucl Radiat Phys 3:53–62Google Scholar
- 10.Singh P, Singh P, Sahoo BK, Bajwa BS (2016) A study on uranium and radon levels in drinking water sources of a mineralized zone of Himachal Pradesh, India. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 309(2):541–549Google Scholar
- 11.IAEA (1989) Regional workshop on environmental sampling and measurements of radioactivity for monitoring purpose, Kalpakkam, India. vol 9:85–92Google Scholar
- 15.Gaware JJ, Sahoo BK, Sapra BK, Mayya YS (2011) Indigenous development and networking of online radon monitors in the underground uranium mine. Radiat Protect Environ 34:37–40Google Scholar
- 19.IAEA (1989) Regional workshop on environmental sampling and measurements of radioactivity for monitoring purpose, Kalpakkam, India. vol 9:85–92Google Scholar
- 21.ICRP (1990) International commission on radiological protection. ICRP publication 60, vol 21, Pargamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar