The distinction between chondroma and chondrosarcoma using chemical element mass fractions in tumors determined by neutron activation analysis as diagnostic markers
- 89 Downloads
The Ca, Cl, Mg, Na, and P content and Ca/P, Ca/Mg, Ca/Na, Cl/Ca, and Cl/Na ratios in tissue of intact bone, chondroma and chondrosarcoma were investigated by neutron activation analysis. It was shown that higher mass fraction of Cl and Na and also Cl/Na mass fraction ratio as well as lower Ca/Cl and Ca/Na mass fraction ratios are typical of the chondrosarcoma tissue compared to chondroma. Finally, it was proposed to use the estimation of such parameters as the Cl mass fraction and the Ca/Cl and Ca/Na mass fraction ratios as an additional test for differential diagnosis between chondroma and chondrosarcoma.
KeywordsChemical elements Human bone Chondroma Chondrosarcoma Neutron activation analysis
We are grateful to the late Prof. V. A. Bizer, Medical Radiological Research Center, Obninsk, for supplying chondroma and chondrosarcoma samples.
- 2.Randall RL, Gowski W (2005) Grade 1 chondrosarcoma of bone: a diagnostic and treatment dilemma. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 3:149–156Google Scholar
- 3.Shariat Torbaghan S, Ashouri M, Jalayer Naderi N, Baherini N (2011) Histopathologic differentiation between enchondroma and well-differentiated chondrosarcoma: evaluating the efficacy of diagnostic histologic structures. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 5:98–101Google Scholar
- 4.Dorfman HD, Czerniak B (1998) Bone Tumors. Mosby-Yearbook, St Louis, pp 253–350Google Scholar
- 18.Zaichick V (2004) Sex and age related Ca/P ratio in trabecular bone of iliac crest of healthy humans. In: Anke M et al (eds) Macro and trace elements. 22 Workshop, vol 1. Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, pp 248–255Google Scholar
- 27.Zaichick V, Kalashnikov VM, Bizer VA (1980) The in vivo analysis of Ca, Na and Cl in human limb tumours by neutron activation. Application of nuclear analytical methods in biology and medicine. Institute of Medical Radiology, Obninsk, pp 58–74Google Scholar
- 30.Zaichick V (1997) Sampling, sample storage and preparation of biomaterials for INAA in clinical medicine, occupational and environmental health. Harmonization of health-related environmental measurements using nuclear and isotopic techniques. IAEA, Vienna, pp 123–133Google Scholar
- 32.Korelo AM, Zaichick V (1993) Software to optimize the multielement INAA of medical and environmental samples. Activation analysis in environment protection. Join Institute of Nuclear Research, Dubna, pp 326–332Google Scholar
- 33.Genes VS (1967) Simple methods for cybernetic data treatment of diagnostic and physiological studies. Nauka, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 34.Zherbin EA, Zaichick V (1976) Several aspects of applied neutron activation in medicine: the present state and development of activation analysis in the Institute of Medical Radiology. II meeting on new nuclear-physical methods used in solving scientific-technical and national economic problems. Join Institute of Nuclear Research, Dubna, pp 104–126Google Scholar
- 36.Zaichick V (2004) Losses of chemical elements in biological samples under the dry ashing process. Trace Elem Med 5(3):17–22Google Scholar