Use of neutron reflection method for chemical analysis of bulk samples
- 117 Downloads
The aim of our study carried out during the last 5–6 years was to find the hidden organic materials (for example explosives or drugs) in bulk objects with the neutron reflection and activation methods. The applicability of the concept of the differential σ β and integral Σβ reflection cross sections is also demonstrated. Further investigations are also recommended to improve the neutron reflection method.
KeywordsNeutron activation Neutron reflection Illicit drugs Landmines Diffusion lengths
This work was supported in part by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences and the TÁMOP-4.2.2/B-10/1–2010-0024 project, which is co-financed by the European Union, the European Social Fund. Thanks are due also to the EC-JRC-IRMM (Geel) and the UN IAEA Physics Section for their help and interest in these investigations.
- 1.Bulk Hydrogen Analysis Using Neutrons (1997) IAEA Vienna PS/RCM/97-1Google Scholar
- 2.Application of Nuclear Techniques to Anti-Personnel Landmines Identifications (1999) IAEA Vienna PS/RC-799Google Scholar
- 3.Csikai J, Hussein E, Rosengard U (2004) Applied Radiation and Isotopes (Special Issue) 61Google Scholar
- 4.Csikai J (2004) Neutron-based techniques for the detection of concealed objects. Acta Phys Debrecina 37:7–31Google Scholar
- 5.Csikai J, ElAgib I, Buczkó CsM (1998) Studies on the neutron reflection, scattering and transmission methods used for bulk hydrogen analysis. IAEA/PS/RCM98-2, IAEA HQ, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Papp A, Csikai J (2009) Lateral flux distributions of thermal and epithermal neutrons around a Pu–Be source. Acta Phys Debrecina 43:10–14Google Scholar
- 19.Papp A, Csikai J (2013) Use of neutron albedo to detect plastic explosives. Acta Phys Debrecina 47:137–150Google Scholar
- 21.Oláh L (2000) PhD Thesis (in Hungarian). University of Debrecen, HungaryGoogle Scholar
- 23.Womble PC, Csikai J, Dokhale PA, Paschal J, Vourvopoulos G (1999) Neutron-based portable drug probe. Fourth Topical Meeting on Industrial Radiation and Radioisotope Measurement Applications, IRRMA’99, Raleigh, USAGoogle Scholar
- 24.Papp A, Csikai J (2012) Flux albedo of neutrons with thermal and 1.45 eV energies. Acta Phys Debrecina. 46:123–131Google Scholar