Retention of cesium from aqueous solutions using synthetic zeolites produced from power plant ash
- 235 Downloads
New materials were synthesized from power plant ash, characterized by a variety of analytical techniques and studied as cesium sorbents from aqueous solutions. The Cs-determination was performed by γ-ray spectroscopy using 137Cs-labelled solutions under varying initial concentration, contact time, pH, presence of competing cations and temperature. The experimental sorption isotherms were modeled using the Langmuir and Freundlich equations and thermodynamic parameters (ΔG 0, ΔH 0, ΔS 0) were calculated from kinetics data obtained for 298, 308 and 323 K. The application of SEM/EDS, XRD, TGA and FTIR demonstrated the formation of stable zeolitic phases after the synthesis and support the proposed mechanism for the sorption process.
KeywordsPower plant ash Zeolites Sorption Cesium-uptake Kinetics
The support of Mrs G. Buema by the POSDRU CUANTUMDOC “Doctoral studies for European performances in research and innovation” project ID79407 funded by the European Social Fund and the Romanian Government is thankfully acknowledged.
- 1.Eisenbud M, Gesell T (1997) Environmental radioactivity from natural, industrial and military sources, 4th edn. Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- 2.Toxicological Profile for Cesium (2004) Agency for toxic substances and disease registry (ATSDR). U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GAGoogle Scholar
- 6.Report No. 154, Cesium-137 in the Environment: Radioecology and Approaches to Assessment and Management Radiation Protection: A Memoir of the National Radiological Protection Board, IP Address: 188.8.131.52 (downloaded on 21/03/2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Breck DW (1974) Zeolite molecular sieves. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 22.Noli F, Buema G, Misaelides P, Harja M (2015) New materials synthesized from ash under moderate conditions for removal of toxic and radioactive metals. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 303:2303–2311Google Scholar
- 27.Kapnisti M, Hatzidimitriou A, Noli F, Pavlidou E (2015) Investigation of Cesium uptake from aqueous solutions using new titanium phosphates ion-exchangers. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 303:2303–2311Google Scholar
- 30.EPA Test Method 1311–TCLPGoogle Scholar
- 32.Freundlich HF (1906) Adsorption in solution. Phys Chem Soc 40:1361–1368Google Scholar