The preparation of non-radioactive glassy surrogate nuclear explosion debris (SNED) loaded with isotopically altered Xe
- 180 Downloads
The measurement of Kr and Xe isotope ratios in nuclear explosion debris can be performed requiring little sample preparation. Fragments of debris are simply crushed or heated to release trapped gases Kr and Xe arising from fission product decay. As a suitable test material for this measurement, we have been investigating a method to incorporate isotopically enriched 129Xe in glassy materials that mimic nuclear explosion debris. The approach used to prepare these materials will be described along with some of the example results obtained.
KeywordsTrinitite Nuclear forensics Fission Xe Surrogate nuclear explosion debris Laser melting Laser ablation
This work was funded by the Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation Research and Development with the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration under contract DE-AC05-75RLO1830. The views, opinions and findings contained within this paper are those of the authors and should not be construed as an official position, policy or decision of the DOE unless designated by other documentation.
- 1.Bowyer TW, Schlosser C, Abel KH, Auer M, Hayes JC, Heimbigner TR, McIntyre JI, Panisko ME, Reeder PL, Satorius H, Schlze J, Weiss W (2002) Detection and analysis of xenon isotopes for the comprehensive nuclear-test ban treaty international monitoring system. J Environ Radioact 59:139–151CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Meshik AP, Pravdivtseva OV, Hohenburg CM (2005) Fission xenon in trinitites. Meteorit Planet Sci Suppl 40:5321Google Scholar
- 6.Montana A, Guo Q, Boettcher S, White BS, Brearley M (1993) Xe and Ar in high pressure silicate liquids. Am Mineral 78:1135–1142Google Scholar
- 9.Inn KGW, Johnson CM, Oldham W, Jerome S, Tandon L, Schaaff T, Jones R, Mackney D, MacKill P, Palmer B, Smith D, LaMont S, Griggs J (2013) The urgent requirement for new radioanalytical certified reference materials for nuclear safeguards, forensics, and consequence management. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 196:5–22CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Jerome S, Leggitt J, Inn KGW (2012) Fresh, post-IND reference material based on glass. Presentation at the international workshop on certified reference materials for nuclear measurements, Saclay, FranceGoogle Scholar