Effects of organic acids on Eu(III) sorption on Na-bentonite
- 233 Downloads
Sorption of Eu(III) on Na-bentonite dispersed in sodium chloride media was studied as a function of pH via batch-type experiments. The sorption was found increased with the increasing pH. The sorption kinetics of Eu(III) on Na-bentonite in the absence and presence of different organic acids were described by pseudo-second-order model at pH 6.0 ± 0.1. The effects of different types of organic acids on the sorption of Eu(III) to Na-bentonite were extensively investigated. It was found that the concentration ratio of Eu(III) to ligand is a critical factor to the effect of an organic acid on Eu(III) sorption.
KeywordsOrganic acid Eu(III) Bentonite Sorption
The financial support by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 91226113) is gratefully appreciated.
- 8.Lu SS, Xu H, Wang MM, Song XP, Liu Q (2011) Sorption of Eu(III) onto Gaomiaozi bentonite by batch technique as a function of pH, ionic strength, and humic acid. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 292:889–895Google Scholar
- 9.Bradbury MH, Baeyens B (2005) Modelling the sorption of Mn(II), Co(II), Ni(II), Zn(II), Cd(II), Eu(III), Am(III), Sn(IV), Th(IV), Np(V) and U(VI) on montmorillonite: linear free energy relationships and estimates of surface binding constants for some selected heavy metals and actinides. Geochim Cosmochim Acta 69:875–892CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Cristofaro AD, Zhou DH, He JZ, Violante A (1998) Comparison between oxalate and humate on copper adsorption on goethite. Fresenius Environ Bull 7:570–576Google Scholar
- 21.Stumm W, Kummert R, Sigg L (1980) A ligand exchange model for the adsorption of inorganic and organic ligands at hydrous oxide interfaces. Croat Chem Acta 53:291–312Google Scholar
- 29.Pathak PN, Choppin GR (2007) Effect of complexing anions on europium sorption on suspended silica: a TRLFS study for ternary complex formation. Radiochim Acta 95:267–273Google Scholar
- 34.Chen ZY, Jin Q, Guo ZJ, Montavon G, Wu WS (2014) Surface complexation modeling of Eu(III) and phosphate on Na-bentonite: binary and ternary adsorption systems. Chem Eng J 256:61–68.Google Scholar
- 36.Lagergren S (1898) About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substance. Handlingar 24:1–39Google Scholar
- 38.Gustafsson JP (2010) Visual MINTEQ version 3.0, KTH, Stockholm, SwedenGoogle Scholar