Tracking soil transport to sugarcane industry using neutron activation analysis
- 139 Downloads
Soil as mineral impurity in sugarcane loads impacts the Brazilian sugar-ethanol industry with rising production and maintenance costs as well as decreased productivity. The mechanical harvesting of sugarcane was conceived as a technology with potential to increase the raw material quality thereby has been gradually replacing manual harvesting throughout the country. Instrumental neutron activation analysis was applied for determination of soil tracers in order to compare the performance of both harvesting systems in terms of mineral impurities. There were no significant differences in the amount of soil transported to sugarcane industry despite the technological progress aggregated to mechanical harvesting. However, for both harvesting systems there were significant differences on the amount of such mineral impurity between clay and sandy soils.
KeywordsINAA Sugarcane quality Harvesting system Mineral impurity
Authors are very grateful to technicians and operators of the Usina Iracema, Grupo São Martinho, for their invaluable collaboration in sampling and technological analysis.
- 1.CONAB (2011) Companhia Nacional de Abastecimento. Acompanhamento da safra brasileira de cana-de-açúcar. Terceiro levantamento, safra 2011/2012Google Scholar
- 2.Matsu C (2011) Colheita mecanizada abrange 65 % da cana em SP. http://souagro.com.br. Accessed 10 Dec 2011
- 4.São Paulo (2002) State law nº11.241. http://www.sigam.ambiente.sp.gov.br. Accessed 7 Jan 2012
- 5.John Deere (2012) http://www.deere.com.br. Accessed 6 Jan 2012
- 6.Ferreira I (2002) Advantages of the harvest of mechanized sugar cane. http://www.usp.br. Accessed 25 Jan 2012
- 7.SENAR (2007) Serviço Nacional de Aprendizagem Rural. Cana-de-açúcar, orientações para o setor canavieiro. Programa cana limpaGoogle Scholar
- 8.Benedine MS, Brod FPR, Perticarrari JG (2009) Perdas de cana e impurezas vegetais e minerais na colheita mecanizada. CANAOESTE, SertãozinhoGoogle Scholar
- 9.CONSECANA (2006). Manual de Instruções. PiracicabaGoogle Scholar