Synthesis, radiolabeling and biodistribution of a new opioid glucuronide derivative: ethyl-morphine glucuronide (em-glu)
- 123 Downloads
In current study, ethyl-morphine (em) was synthesized from the morphine and glucuronidated via enzymatic mechanism. The conjugated glucuronide ethyl-morphine (em-glu) was radiolabeled with 131I using iodogen method. The quality control studies of radiolabeled compound (131I-em-glu) were done with Thin Layer Radio Chromatography to confirm the radiolabeling efficiency. Biodistribution studies of 131I labeled em-glu were run on healthy male Albino Wistar rats. The distribution figures demonstrated that 131I-em-glu was eliminated through the small intestine, large intestine and accumulated in urinary bladder both receptor blocked and unblocked biodistribution studies. A greater uptake of the radiolabeled substance was observed in the m.pons, hypothalamus and mid brain than in the other branches of the rats’ brains.
KeywordsMorphine Ethyl-morphine glucuronide (em-glu) 131I labeled ethyl-morphine-glucuronide (131I-em-glu) Biodistribution
The authors thank for the financial supports from The Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK, Project number 2004-104T187) and T.R Prime Ministry State Planning Organization (DPT, Project Number 2006 DPT 06).
- 1.Hoffman B (2009) Socio-cultural transformation and drug dependence in youth. Trakia J Sci 7(3):21–28Google Scholar
- 2.Chou R, Fanciullo GJ, Fine PG, Adler JA, Ballantyne JC, Davies P, Donovan MI, Fishbain DA, Foley KM, Fudin J, Gilson AM, Kelter A, Mauskop A, O’Connor PG, Passik SD, Pasternak GW, Portenoy RK, Rich BA, Roberts RG, Todd KH, Miaskowski C (2009) Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain. J Pain 10:113–130CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Van Ree JM, Gerrits MA, Vanderschuren LJ (1999) Opioids, reward and addiction: an encounter of biology, psychology, and medicine. Pharmacol Rev 51(2):341–396Google Scholar
- 10.Enginar H, Ünak P, Biber Müftüler FZ, Yurt-Lambrecht F, Medine EI, Yolcular S, Yurt A, Seyitoğlu B, Bulduk I (2009) Synthesis, radiolabeling and in vivo tissue distribution of codeine-glucuronide. INCS News 22(6–2):46–56Google Scholar
- 11.Enginar H, Unak P, Biber Müftü ler FZ, Yurt-Lambrecht F, Medine EI, Yolcular S, Yurt Kilcar A, Seyitoğlu B, Bulduk I (2011) Synthesis, radiolabeling and biodistribution of morphine glucuronide (mor-glu). J Radioanal Nucl Chem. doi: 10.1007/s10967-011-1412-4
- 16.Smith HS (2009) Opioid metabolism. Mayo Clin Proc 84(7):613–624Google Scholar
- 17.Fries DS (1995) Analgesics in principles of medicinal chemistry. Williams & Wilkins Media, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 18.Gutstein HB, Akil H (2001) Opioid analgesics in the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. Mcgraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 19.Rice KC (1985) The development of a practical total synthesis of natural and unnatural codeine, morphine and thebaine. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar