Studies on uranium recovery from inlet stream of Effluent Treatment Plant by novel “In-House” sorbent
- 140 Downloads
“In-House” resin Polyacrylhydroxamic acid (PHOA) has been synthesized and utilized targeting ground water remediation; recovery of uranium from low concentration aqueous solution e.g., mining activities related water, flooding of excavated or deplumed areas, nuclear plant washed effluent and process generated effluents in nuclear plant during front-end as well as back-end treatment. In the present study, treatment of field effluent containing heavy metals and radio-nuclides from contaminated mining sites reflected preference for uranium with respect to manganese. The specific complexation between the extractant and metal ion especially uranium provides high distribution co-efficient (K d) for uranium (K d,U = 1,450 mL/g from inlet of Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) and K d,U = 74,950 mL/g for synthetic solution) compared to high level impurity (1,000 times higher concentration) of manganese (K d,Mn = 111 mL/g from inlet of ETP and K d,Mn = 10,588 mL/g for synthetic solution). The “In-House” resin showed significant extractability (70–95% elution efficiency) and indicates a possibility of selective removal/recovery of the valuable metal ions even from secondary sources. As a specialty, resin can be regenerated and reused.
KeywordsUranium Recovery Effluent Polymeric sorbent Sorption Kd values
In procurement and preparation of resin material, help from Sh. Chunu Soren, PEUS, DD, and for field sample procurement, and analysis, Sh. Dilip Chowdhuri, EAD, BARC is acknowledged.
- 6.Fischer J, Lieser KH (1993) Cellulose exchangers with tailor made chelating groups for selective separation of uranium. Fresenius J Anal Chem 346:10–11Google Scholar
- 9.Saxena AK (2003) Experiments for recovery of uranium from seawater by harnessing tidal energy. BARC Newsletter, Founder’s Day Special Issue, No. 249, pp 246–250Google Scholar
- 10.Pal Sangita S, Tewari PK (2011) Composite sorbent for attrition minimization. Desalination Water Treat 28:1–6Google Scholar
- 12.Pal Sangita S, Ramachandhran V, Prabhakar S, Tewari PK, Sudersanan M (2006) Polyhydroxamic acid for uranium recovery. J Macromol Sci A 43:735–747Google Scholar
- 13.Pal Sangita S, Satpati SK, Hareendran K, Kumar S, Thalor KL, Roy SB, Tewari PK (2006) Recovery and pre-concentration of uranium from secondary effluent using novel resin. Int J Nucl Desalination 4:28–36Google Scholar
- 15.Shinkai S, Kawaguchi H, Manabe O (1988) Selective adsorption of UO2 2+ to a polymer resin immobilizing calixarene-based uranophiles. J Polym Sci C: Polym Lett 26:391–396Google Scholar