Separation of Cr(III) from Cr(VI) by Triton X-100 cerium(IV) phosphate as a surface active ion exchanger
Triton X-100 cerium(IV) phosphate (TX-100CeP) was synthesized and characterized by using IR, X-ray, TGA/DT and the elemental analysis. The chemical stability of TX-100CeP versus the different concentrations of HCl acid was studied before and after its exposure to the radiation dose (30 K Gray). The effect of HCl concentration on separation of Cr(III) from Cr(VI) by using TX-100CeP as surface active ion exchanger was also studied. A novel method was achieved for the quantifying of Cr(III) and Cr(VI) ions by using the high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) at wavelength 650 nm, a stationary phase consists of reversed phase column (Nucleosil phenyl column; 250 × 4.6 mm, 5 μm), and a mobile phase consists of 0.001 M di-(2-ethylhexyl) phosphoric acid (DEHPA) in methanol:water (70:30 v/v). The retention times were 7.0 and 8.5 min, for the Cr(III) and Cr(VI), respectively. The exchange capacity of Cr(III) was quantified (2.1 meq/g) onto the TX-100CeP.
KeywordsSynthesis Triton X-100 cerium(IV) phosphate Surfactant HPLC Separation Cr(III) Cr(VI) Chromium-51
The authors wish to thank the editor of the RANC for his cooperation and valuable comments.
- 11.Nriagu JO, Nieboer E (1972) Chromium in natural and human environments. Wiley Interscience, NY, p 56Google Scholar
- 21.Jayasinghe BS, Jayawardene MIFP, Pathiratne KAS (2003) Proceedings of the 8th international conference on environmental science and technology, Lemnos Island, Greece, 8–10 September 2003, p 325Google Scholar
- 23.Socrates G (1980) Infrared characteristic group frequencies. Wiley, NYGoogle Scholar
- 24.Nyquist RN, Kagel RO (1997) Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic compounds and organic salts. Academic Press, NYGoogle Scholar
- 26.Duval C (1953) Inorganic thermogravimetric analysis. Elsevier, Amsterdam, p 403Google Scholar
- 29.Greenwood NN, Earnshaw A (2005) Chemistry of elements, 2nd edn. Reed Elsevier India Private Limited, p 1024Google Scholar
- 34.Baes Jr, Charles F, Mesmer RE (1986) The hydrolysis of cations. Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar, p 215Google Scholar
- 36.Qureshi M, Varshney KG (1991) Inorganic ion exchangers in chemical analysis. CRC Press, BocaRatonGoogle Scholar
- 42.Kraus KA, Nelson F (2007) Radiochemical separation by ion exchange. http://www.AnnualReviews.org