Separation and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometric (ICP-OES) determination of trace impurities in nuclear grade uranium oxide
- 269 Downloads
A simple and rapid inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometric method for the determination of trace level impurities like REEs, Y, Cd, Co, V, Mg, B, Ca, Cr, Mn, Ni, Cu, Zn and Al in uranium oxide samples is described. The method involves solvent extraction separation of uranium from 6 M HNO3 acid medium using di (2-ethyl hexyl) phosphoric acid in toluene, which selectively separates uranium leaving behind the trace impurities in the aqueous media, for quantification by ICP-OES. The method has been applied to few synthetic samples and five certified reference U3O8 standards. The results are compared with other methods such as TBP-TOPO-CCl4 and 1,2 diaminocyclohexane N,N,N′,N′-tetra acetic acid (CyDTA)–ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH) separation techniques. Different experimental parameters like contact time, acidity, aqueous to organic ratio etc., are optimized for better and accurate results. The method is simple, rapid, accurate and precise for all the studied elements, showing a relative standard deviation of 1.5–12.0% at trace levels studied (5.5–12% at 0.2 μg/mL and 1.5–6.0% at 0.5 μg/mL), on the synthetic samples prepared from high purity oxides.
KeywordsNuclear grade uranium ICP-OES Solvent extraction Trace impurities
The authors profusely thank Shri. K. Umamaheswar, Additional Director (R&D), and Dr. Anjan Chaki, Director, AMD, Hyderabad for their constant encouragement in the R&D activities and also for the kind permission to publish these findings.
- 7.Santoliquido PM (1988) J Res Natl Bur Stand 93:452Google Scholar
- 8.Natarajan V, Dhawale BA, Rajeswari B, Hon NS, Tulasidas SK, Porwal NK, Godbole SV, Manchanda VK (2008) Spectrochim Acta B63:817Google Scholar
- 9.Misra NL, Mudher Singh KD, Adya VC, Rajeswari B, Venu Gopal V (2005) Spectrochim Acta B60:834Google Scholar
- 11.Hills SJ (1999) Inductively coupled plasma spectrometry and its application. Shieffied Academic Press, EnglandGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nolte J (2003) ICP emission spectrometry—a practical guide. Wiley-VCH, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 13.Thompson M, Walsh JN (1983) A handbook of inductively coupled plasma spectrometry. Blackie, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 15.Gupta CK, Krishnamurthy K (1992) Int Mater Rev 37:197Google Scholar
- 17.Satyanarayana K, Durani S, Malhotra RK (1999) DAE-BRNS symposium on spectroscopy of lanthanides and Actinides. SLA-99:181Google Scholar
- 19.DAE—Inter Laboratory Comparison Experiments (ILCE) for trace metal assay of uranium—Phase I: experiments: development of certified U3O8 reference materials, compiled by radio chemistry division and process development division (1999) BARC, Trombay, MumbaiGoogle Scholar
- 20.DAE—Inter Laboratory Comparison Experiments (ILCE) for trace metal assay of uranium—Phase II: experiments: development of certified U3O8 reference materials, compiled by radiochemistry division and process development division (2003) BARC, Trombay, MumbaiGoogle Scholar