Sorption study of U(VI), Th(IV) and Ce(III) on poly[dibenzo-18-crown-6] in l-arginine to develop sequential column chromatographic separation method
- 115 Downloads
A simple and efficient column chromatographic method has been developed for the sequential separation of U(VI), Th(IV) and Ce(III) using poly[dibenzo-18-crown-6] as stationary phase and l-arginine as a counter ion. The different elution patterns with various eluting agents were observed for individual element. The capacity of poly[dibenzo-18-crown-6] for U(VI), Th(IV) and for Ce(III) was found to be 0.96, 0.86 and 1.49 (±0.01) mmol/g of crown polymer, respectively. The method is efficient to separate the elements in multicomponent mixtures and has good recovery. The method is extended to determine the U(VI), Th(IV) and Ce(III) from monazite sand. The method is simple, rapid and selective having good reproducibility (~±2%).
KeywordsU(VI) Th(IV) Ce(III) Poly[dibenzo-18-crown-6] l-arginine Separation
One of the authors (Mr. Sandip Sabale) is gratefully acknowledges the University Grant Commission for awarding Research Fellowship.
- 1.Sekine T, Hasegawa Y (1977) Solvent extraction chemistry, fundamentals and applications. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Walton HF, Rocklin RD (1990) Ion exchange in analytical chemistry. CRC press, Boca Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- 4.Keim R (1983) Gnelin handbook of inorganic chemistry, uranium supplement, cation-exchange and chromatography. Springer-Verlag, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yoshio M, Noguchi H (1982) Anal Lett 15(A15):1197Google Scholar
- 12.Zolotov YA (1997) Macrocyclic compounds in analytical chemistry. A Wiley-Interscience Publication, John Wiley and sons, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Maslova GB, Gelis VM, Ushakov SI, Polyakova NI (1992) Radiokhimiya 34:108Google Scholar
- 21.Mohite BS, Burungale SH, Mane SG (2000) J Ind Chem Soc 77(9):455Google Scholar
- 22.Kumbhar RR (2007) Studies of thermodynamical properties in ternary aqueous solutions containing supramolecules, Ph. D. Thesis, Shivaji University, Kolhapur, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- 24.Vogel AI (1975) A textbook of quantitative inorganic analysis, 3rd edn. Longmans, London, pp 540–541Google Scholar
- 25.Marczenko (1976) Spectrophotometric determination of elements. Ellis Horword Limited, Chichester, pp 442, 537, 580Google Scholar