Challenges and successes in the use of neutron activation analysis procedures for value assignment of animal serum and bovine liver Standard Reference Materials
- 60 Downloads
Analyses for value assignment in the renewal Standard Reference Materials® SRM 1598a Animal Serum and SRM 1577c Bovine Liver included extensive characterization by neutron activation analysis (NAA). Conventional instrumental NAA procedures were complemented by pre-irradiation chemical separations for the determination of Al, V, Mn, and Cu, radiochemical separations for the determination of Ag, As, Cd, Cr, Cu, Mo, Sb, and Se, and the use of (anti-) coincidence gamma-ray spectrometry systems for the instrumental determination of Ag, Cr, and Hg. The previous materials, SRMs 1598, 1577, and 1577b, were analyzed together with the new materials for quality control.
KeywordsChemical separation Radiochemistry Gamma-ray spectrometry Low level trace elements
Certain commercial equipment, instruments, or materials are identified in this paper in order to adequately specify the experimental procedure. Such identification does not imply recommendation or endorsement by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, nor does it imply that the materials or equipment identified are necessarily the best available for the purpose.
- 1.Christopher, S.J., Pugh, R.S., Moors, A.J., Ellisor, M.B., Mackey, E.A., Spatz, R.O., Porter, B.J., Bealer, K.J., Kucklick, J.R., Becker, P.R., Rowles, T.K.: National marine analytical quality assurance program: results and description of the NIST/NOAA 2007 interlaboratory comparison exercise for trace elements in marine mammals, NISTIR 7528, NIST, Gaithersburg, 106 pp. (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.May, W.E., Gills, T.E., Parris, R., Beck, C.M., II, Fassett, J.D., Gettings, R.J., Greenberg, R.R., Guenther, F.R., Kramer, G., MacDonald, B.S., Wise, S.A.: Definitions of terms and modes used at NIST for value-assignment of reference materials for chemical measurements. NIST Special Publication 260–136, (1999); available at URL: http://ts.nist.gov/MeasurementServices/ReferenceMaterials/upload/SP260-136.pdf
- 10.Certificate of Analysis; available at URL: http://ts.nist.gov/measurementservices/referencematerials/index.cfm
- 11.Zeisler, R., James, W.D., Mackey, E.A., Spatz, R.O., Greenberg, R.R.: NAA characterization of the new bovine liver SRM. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 278, 783–787 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Levenson, M.S., Banks, D.L., Eberhardt, K.R., Gill, L.M., Guthrie, W.F., Liu, K.H., Vangel, M.G., Yen, J.H., Zhang, N.F.: An approach to combining results from multiple methods motivated by the ISO GUM. J. Res. NIST 105, 571–579 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Rukhin, A.L., Vangel, M.G.: Estimation of a common mean and weighted means statistics. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 93, 303–308 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Key comparison CCQM-K49, Toxic and essential elements in bovine liver 2006, Final report, BIPM, Seures, France (2008); available at URL: http://kcdb.bipm.org/appendixB/appbresults/ccqm-k49/ccqm-k49_final_report.pdf