Investigation of the origin and sedimentary environment of marine sediments from coastal areas of western Japan by INAA
Trace elements such as Sc, lanthanoids, Th and U were determined by means of instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA) in marine sediment core samples collected from 5 coastal areas in western Japan mainly facing the Pacific. The origin of the coastal sediments and the sedimentary environment are discussed in terms of such parameters as the La*/Lu* and Ce*/La* ratios, the Th/Sc ratios and the Th/U-Ce/U plot obtained from the analytical data. In particular, it was confirmed that the Th/U-Ce/U plot introduced in this work is extremely useful for estimating the sedimentary environment, including redox conditions.
KeywordsThorium Marine Sediment Instrumental Neutron Activation Analysis Sedimentary Environment Scandium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Honda, K. Kimura, Bull. Soc. Sea Water Sci., Japan, 57 (2003) 166 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Minai, R. Matsumoto, Y. Watanabe, T. Tominaga, Proc. Ocean Drilling Program, Sci. Results, 127/128 (1992) 719.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Honda, E. Suzuki, in: Isotopes in Environmental Studies, IAEA, Vienna, 2006, p. 439.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Nagao, H. Narita, S. Tsunogai, K. Harada, T. Ishii, Geochem. J., 26 (1992) 63.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Suzuki, T. Honda, Fiss. Track Newsl., 19 (2006) 33 (in Japanese).Google Scholar