Radiation-induced polymerization of 2,3-dimethyl-1,3-butadiene clathrate in deoxycholic acid
Poly(dimethylbutadiene) (PDMB) was synthesized through the inclusion polymerization technique, by γ-irradiation of a clathrate of 2,3-dimethyl-1,3-butadiene in deoxycholic acid (DOCA) at 75, 150, 320 and 430 kGy. The resulting inclusion complexes PDMB@DOCA were studied by FTIR spectroscopy and by thermal analysis (DTA, TGA and DTG). Pure PDMB was isolated by extracting the complex PDMB@DOCA with ethanol. The best sample in terms of purity was that prepared at 75 kGy, while the other samples prepared at higher doses suffered of DOCA grafting on PDMB chains. Pure PDMB isolated from PDMB@DOCA complex was studied by FT-IR spectroscopy and by thermal analysis in comparison to a reference highly crystalline and ≈=100% trans-1,4-PDMB prepared by inclusion polymerization in thiourea and in comparison to PDMB prepared by emulsion polymerization. A lower degree of regularity and crystallinity has been found on the PDMB sample prepared as inclusion compound in DOCA in comparison to the reference PDMB obtained by inclusion polymerization in thiourea.
KeywordsDifferential Thermal Analysis Thiourea Clathrate Inclusion Complex Butadiene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Gattermann, H. Wieland, Die Praxis des Organischen Chemikers, Walter de Gruyter & Co., Berlin, 40 th ed., 1961, p. 361.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Giglio, Inclusion Compounds of Deoxycholic Acid, in: Inclusion Compounds, J. P. Atwood, J. E. D. Davies, D. D Macnicol (Eds), Academic Press, London, Vol. 2, 1984, p. 207.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Miyata, K. Sada, N. Yoswathanamont, Deoxycholic, Cholic and Apocholic Acid, in: Encyclopedia of Supramolecular Chemistry, J. P. Atwood, J. W. Steed (Eds), CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Takemoto, M. Miyata, J. Macromol. Sci. Rev. Macromol. Chem., C18 (1980) 83.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Farina, Inclusion Polymerization, in: Inclusion Compounds, J. P. Atwood, J. E. D. Davies, D. D. Macnicol (Eds), Academic Press, London, Vol. 3, 1984, p. 297.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Di Silvestro, P. Sozzani, Polymerization in Clathrates, in: Comprehensive Polymer Science, G. Allen, J. C. Bevington (Eds), Pergamon Press, Oxford, Vol. 4, 1989, p. 303.Google Scholar
- 9.F. Cataldo, O. Ursini, E. Lilla, G. Angelini, J. Macromol. Sci., Part A, Pure Appl. Chem., 46 (2009) in press.Google Scholar
- 10.F. Cataldo, P. Ragni, O. Ursini, A. Rosati, Radiat. Phys. Chem., (2009) in press.Google Scholar
- 11.F. Cataldo, G. Strazzulla, S. Iglesias-Groth, Radiat. Phys. Chem., (2009) in press.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Miyata, K. Morioka, K. Takemoto, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Chem., 15 (1977) 2987.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Miyata, Y. Kitahara, Y. Osaki, K. Takemoto, J. Inclus. Phenom. Macrocycl. Chem., 2 (1984) 1573.Google Scholar
- 18.T. Ichikawa, O. Nakano, T. Suzuki, T. Okazaki, N. Ohta, Radiation Phys. Chem., 28 (1986) 295.Google Scholar