Studies for simultaneous quantitative electrodeposition of plutonium and americium for alpha-spectrometry
- 113 Downloads
For high resolution alpha-spectrometric studies, the sources of alpha-emitting actinides are generally prepared by electrodeposition. Usually, by electrodeposition of only one element can be achieved quantitatively. A method was developed for the simultaneous quantitative electrodeposition of plutonium and americium, in two hours using 0.005M oxalic acid with saturated ammonium chloride. The alpha-spectral characteristics of sources prepared by this method were better than those prepared by the drop deposition method. This electrodeposition procedure was validated with nuclear fuel samples containing plutonium and americium.
KeywordsOxalic Acid Plutonium Americium Initial Current Plutonium Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. J. Singh, The Study of Chemical Properties of Actinide Elements: Electrodeposition of Th, Pa, U, Np, Pu and Am from Isopropyl Alcohol, M.Sc.Thesis, University of Bombay, 1975.Google Scholar
- 2.S. K. Aggarwal, S. A. Chitambar, V. D. Kavimandan, A. I. Almaula, P. M. Shah, A. R. Parab, V. L. Sant, H. C. Jain, M. V. Ramaniah, BARC Report, BARC-1041, 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Tomlin, G. A. Barnett, Health Phys., 11 (1965) 783.Google Scholar
- 5.N. N. Mirashi, P. M. Shah, S. K. Aggarwal, Intern. Conf. on Electroanalytical Chemistry and Allied Topics (ELAC-2004), January 18–23, 2004 Dona Paula, Goa, ISEAC Publication, P-20, 2004, p. 384.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Umemoto, Radiochim. Acta, 8 (1967) 107.Google Scholar
- 7.S. K. Aggarwal, S. A. Chitambar, V. D. Kavimandan, A. I. Almaula, P. M. Shah, A. R. Parab, V. L. Sant, H. C. Jain, M. V. Ramaniah, Radiochim. Acta, 27 (1980) 1.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Paunovic, M. Schlesinger, Fundamentals of Electrochemical Deposition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.D. A. Skoog, D. M. West, Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, 4th ed. CBS College Publishing, Japan, 1982, Appendix 2.Google Scholar
- 10.F. A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (A Comprehensive Text), 3rd ed. Wiley Eastern Ltd., New Delhi, 1972.Google Scholar
- 11.N. N. Mirashi, P. M. Shah, S. K. Aggarwal, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 275 (479) 2008.Google Scholar