Evaluation of measurements of 238Pu, 239Pu and 240Pu in urine at the microbecquerel level using thermal ionization mass spectrometry and alpha-spectrometry at Los Alamos National Laboratory: Results of a two year comparison test (LA-UR-06-8055)
- 54 Downloads
The Intercomparison Studies Program (ISP) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL, Oak Ridge, TN, USA) provides natural-matrix urine quality-assurance/quality-control (QA/QC) samples to radiobioassay analysis laboratories. In 2003, a single laboratory (Los Alamos National Laboratory LANL, Los Alamos NM USA) requested a change in the test-samples provided previously by the ISP. The change was requested to evaluate measurement performance for analyses conducted using thermal-ionization mass spectrometry (TIMS). Radionuclides included 239Pu at two activity levels (75–150 μBq·sample−1 and 1200–1600 μBq·sample−1) and 238Pu (3700–7400 μBq·sample−1). In addition, 240Pu was added to the samples so that the 239+240Pu specific activity was 3700–7400 μBq·sample−1. In this paper, the results of testing during the period May, 2003 through September, 2005 are presented and discussed.
KeywordsNormal Probability Plot Alpha Spectrometry Donor Pool Report Measurement Result Polyethylene Terephthalate Bottle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. R. Dalheimer, D. Beyer, E. W. Günther, K. Henrichs, Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res., A369 (1996) 713.Google Scholar
- 7.B. N. Taylor, C. E. Kuyatt, Guidelines for Evaluating and Expressing the Uncertainty of NIST Measurement Results, NIST Technical Note 1297, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.International Standards Organization, Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland, ISBN 92-67-101188-9, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.C. J. Brookes, I. G. Betteley, S. M. Loxton, Fundamentals of Mathematics and Statistics, Wiley, New York, 1979, p. 369.Google Scholar
- 11.NIST/SEMATECH, e-Handbook of Statistical Methods, http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section1/prc16.htm, 2006.
- 13.NIST/SEMATECH, e-Handbook of Statistical Methods, http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda3676.htm, 2006.