Total deposition velocities and scavenging ratios of 7Be and 210Pb at Rokkasho, Japan
- 74 Downloads
The atmospheric concentrations and deposition fluxes of 7Be and 210Pb were observed biweekly in Rokkasho, Japan on the Pacific Ocean coast at the northern end of Honshu Island, from March 2000 to March 2006, to clarify their regional features. Seasonal variation pattern of atmospheric 7Be concentrations had double peaks, and that of 210Pb had a single peak. Deposition fluxes of 7Be and 210Pb showed the same patterns. The total deposition pattern of 7Be was similar to that commonly seen on the Pacific Ocean side of northern Honshu Island, while the pattern of 210Pb was similar to that commonly seen on the Japan Sea side. The lack of high spine mountains windward in Rokkasho may be the cause of this ambiguity in the winter monsoon season. Total deposition velocities and scavenging ratios of 210Pb were similar to those of 7Be from spring to fall, and showed that both nuclides had a similar removal process from the atmosphere. However, the scavenging ratios of 210Pb were slightly larger than those of 7Be in winter, indicating different behaviors for both nuclides in the scavenging process. The scavenging ratios of both nuclides inversely correlated with precipitation rate, and the ratios in winter were larger than in the other seasons.
Keywords210Pb Deposition Velocity Deposition Flux Total Deposition 210Pb Deposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Y. Kanai, F. Yanagisawa, J. Arid Land Stud., 11 (2002) 301.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Olsen, I. L. Larsen, P. D. Lowry, N. H. Cutshall, J. F. Todd, T. F. Wong, W. H. Casey, J. Geophys. Res., 90 (1985) 487.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Mcneary, M. Baskaran, J.Geophys. Res., 108 (2003) doi:10.1029/2002JD003021.Google Scholar
- 13.K. Yokoyama, H. Ohno, Y. Kominami, J. Japan Soc. Snow and Ice (Seppyo), 65 (2003) 303 (in Japanese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- 19.J. Sato, T. Doi, T. Segawa, S. Sugawara, Geochem. J., 28 (1994) 123.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Matsunami, K. Megumi, Radioisotopes, 43 (1994) 334 (in Japanese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- 22.A. K. Mark, W. R. Stefan, F. D. Edwin, B. S. Henry, J. Geophys. Res., 96 (1991) 17405.Google Scholar
- 25.S. Tsunogai, T. Shinagawa, T. Kurata, Geochem. J., 19 (1985) 77.Google Scholar
- 27.I. I. Burtsev, V. A. Burtseva, S. K. Malakou, Atmospheric Scavenging of Radioisotopes, B. Styra (Ed.), National Technical Information Service, Oak Ridge, 1970.Google Scholar