Geographical distribution of plutonium derived from the atomic bomb in the eastern area of Nagasaki
In order to know the distribution of plutonium derived from the Nagasaki atomic bomb, soil samples were measured to determine the 240Pu/239Pu isotope ratio of and concentrations of 239+240Pu and 137Cs. The 239+240Pu concentrations in soils, except for Nishiyama area, were close to the average concentration of soil collected in Japan. In soils collected at the Nishiyama area and at the eastern area of Nagasaki Prefecture and at part of northern area in Kumamoto Prefecture, the 240Pu/239Pu ratios were lower than the global fallout values. This suggests that plutonium from the atomic bomb was deposited in the eastern area from the hypocenter reaching up to 100 km eastwards.
KeywordsPlutonium Atomic Bomb Eastern Area Global Fallout Japan Atomic Energy Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Saito-Kokubu, F. Esaka, K. Yasuda, M. Magara, Y. Miyamoto, S. Sakurai, S. Usuda, H. Yamazaki, S. Yoshikawa, S. Nagaoka, J. Nucl. Radiochem. Sci., 5 Suppl. (2003) 133 (in Japanese), 199 (in English).Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Saito-Kokubu, K. Yasuda, M. Magara, Y. Miyamoto, S. Sakurai, S. Usuda, H. Yamazaki, M. Mitamura, S. Yoshikawa, J. Nucl. Radiochem. Sci., 5 Suppl. (2004) 128 (in Japanese), 184 (in English).Google Scholar
- 3.P. W. Krey, E. P. Hardy, C. Pachucki, F. Roukre, J. Coluzza, W. K. Benson, Proc. Symp. on Transuranium Nuclides in the Environment, IAEA-SM-199-39, 1976, p. 671.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Saito, F. Esaka, K. Yasuda, M. Magara, Y. Miyamoto, S. Sakurai, S. Usuda, H. Yamazaki, S. Yoshikawa, S. Nagaoka, Proc. 5th Workshop on Environmental Radioactivity, KEK Proc. 2004–8, p. 35 (in Japanese, with English abstract).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Isogai, private communication, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Ishida, Gakujyutu-Shinko-Kai (Eds), Investigation of Atomic Bombs, Part I, Nihon Gakujyutu-shinko-Kai, Tokyo, 1953, p. 139 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 8.Hiroshima-city & Nagasaki-city Genbakusaigaishi hensyuiinkai (Ed.) Disaster of Atomic Bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Iwanami, Tokyo, 1979, p. 55 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Mahara, S. Miyahara, J. Geophys. Res., 89 (1984) 7931.Google Scholar
- 11.Japan Chemical Analysis Center, Data of radioactivity survey and environmental radioactivity monitoring around nuclear power plant and facilities, in: Database of Environmental Radioactivity and Radiation Data, 2002, http://search.kankyohoshano.go.jp/servlet/dgram.dg_s_GetSearchCondition?paraSelectKind=0&pageSID=18426359