Synthesis and in vivo study of metallofullerene based MRI contrast agent
Gd@C82(OH)40 has been developed as a new generation of MRI contrast agent. But recently, it was found that Gd@C82(OH) x with a larger number of OH (x>36) would lead to cage break and hence, release of highly toxic Gd ions. We synthesized the more stable Gd@C82(OH) x with less OH-number, Gd@C82(OH)16, and studied its proton relaxivity and MRI images. The results indicate that Gd@C82(OH)16 also gives high proton relaxivity, even higher than that of (NMG)2-Gd-DTPA. The bio-distribution indicated that Gd@C82(OH)16 tends to be entrapped in the liver and kidney and remained in tissue for about 2 hours. The results suggest that the more stable metallofullerene derivative Gd@C82(OH)16 can be the potential candidate of the new MRI contrast agent.
KeywordsFullerene Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study Magnetic Resonance Imaging Image Magnetic Resonance Imaging Contrast Agent Proton Relaxivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Y. Huang, X. Y. Liang, Principle of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Shanxi Science and Technology Press, 1998, p. 150.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Brücher, in: Contrast Agents I. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, W. Krause (Ed.), Topics in Current Chemistry, Vol. 221, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2002, p. 103.Google Scholar
- 9.Jun Tang, Gengmei Xing, Yuliang Zhao, Long Jing, Xingfa Gao, Yue Cheng, Hui Yuan, Feng Zhao, Zhen Chen, Huan Meng, Hui Zhang, Haijie Qian, Run Su, Kurash Ibrahim, Adv. Mater., in press.Google Scholar
- 10.Jun Tang, Gengmei Xing, Feng Zhao, Yuliang Zhao, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., in press.Google Scholar
- 18.Chunying Chen, Gengmei Xing, Jiangxue Wang, Yuliang Zhao, Bai Li, Guang Jia, Tiancheng Wang, Jin Sun, Li Xing, Hui Yuan, Yuxi Gao, Chang Ye, Jun Tang, Li Qu, Huan Meng, Zheng Chen, Zhifang Chai, Nano Lett., 4 (2005) 1050.Google Scholar
- 20.G. M. Xing, J. Zhang, Y. L. Zhao, J. Tang, B. Zhang, X. F. Gao, H. Yuan, L. Qu, W. B. Cao, Z. F. Chai, K. Ibrahim, R. Su, J. Phys. Chem., B108 (2004) 11473.Google Scholar
- 21.Yuliang Zhao, Zhenlin Chen, Xinfa Gao, Li Qu, Zhifang Chai, Hui Yuan, Gengmei Xing, Soichiro Yoshimoto, Eishi Tsutsumi, Kingo Itaya, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 126 (2004) 11135.Google Scholar