Study on morphology, thermal, mechanical and Cd(II) adsorption properties of PVC/α-MnO2-stearic acid nanocomposites: production and application
Alpha manganese dioxide nanorods (α-MnO2) were successfully functionalized with stearic acid (SA) by solvothermal method to prevent agglomeration. The α-MnO2-SA nanorods were employed as a filler for the preparation of poly(vinyl chloride) (PVC) nanocomposite (NC) films with different percentages (1, 3 and 5 wt%). The morphology, mechanical and thermal properties of the obtained NCs were investigated. The results showed that α-MnO2-SA can effectively improve the properties of PVC. The enhancement in properties of the NCs was attributed to the improved interfacial bonding by modification. Also, these NCs were used as adsorbent for removal of cadmium ions. Our finding suggests that the PVC/α-MnO2-SA NCs are good candidates for efficient Cd(ІІ) removal from the wastewater.
KeywordsNanocomposites Poly(vinyl chloride) α-MnO2 nanorod Stearic acid Cd(ІІ) adsorption
The authors appreciatively acknowledge the financial support of the Research Affairs Division, Isfahan University of Technology (IUT), Isfahan, Iran. Further financial support from National Elite Foundation (NEF) of Iran, and Center of Excellence in Sensors and Green Chemistry also thankfully acknowledged.
- 4.Mallakpour S, Jarahiyan A (2015) An eco-friendly approach for the synthesis of biocompatible poly(vinyl alcohol) nanocomposite with aid of modified CuO nanoparticles with citric acid and vitamin C: mechanical, thermal and optical properties. J Iran Chem Soc. doi: 10.1007/s13738-015-0760-3 Google Scholar
- 24.Abdolmaleki A, Mallakpour S, Borandeh S (2012) The use of novel biodegradable, optically active and nanostructured poly (amide-ester-imide) as a polymer matrix for preparation of modified ZnO based bionanocomposites. Mater Res Bull 47:1123–1129. doi: 10.1016/j.materresbull.2012.02.015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Wang X, Li Y (2002) Rational synthesis of α-MnO2 single-crystal nanorods. Chem Commun 764–765Google Scholar
- 35.Vasanthkumar MS, Bhatia R, Arya VP, Sameera I, Prasad V, Jayanna HS (2014) Characterization, charge transport and magnetic properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube-polyvinyl chloride nanocomposites. Phys E Low-Dimensional Syst Nanostruct 56:10–16. doi: 10.1016/j.physe.2013.08.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 50.Rout K, Mohapatra M, Mohapatra BK, Anand S (2009) Pb ( II ), Cd ( II ) and Zn ( II ) adsorption on low grade manganese ore. Int J Phys Sci 1:106–122Google Scholar