Enhanced mechanical properties and pre-tension effects of polyurethane (PU) nanofiber filaments prepared by electrospinning and dry twisting
- 338 Downloads
We studied the mechanical properties of polyurethane (PU) nanofiber filaments prepared by electrospinning and dry twisting, and compared them with those of the corresponding nonwoven PU nanofiber webs. The morphologies and mechanical properties of the nonwoven PU nanofiber webs and the corresponding PU nanofiber filaments were investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and through the use of a universal testing machine (UTM), respectively. The tensile strength and the Young’s modulus of the nanofiber filaments improved dramatically as the number of twists or the width of the nanofiber webs was increased compared with the nonwoven PU nanofibers. Moreover, it was found that applying pre-tension was an effective method of increasing the mechanical properties of PU nanofiber filaments.
KeywordsNanofiber Electrospinning Filaments Dry twisting Mechanical properties Structure–property relations
This work was supported by grant-in-aid for the Global COE Program by the Ministry of Education, Culture Sports Science, and Technology, Japan.
- 18.Jayakumar R, Prabaharan M, Shalumon KT, Chennazhi KP, Nair SV (2011) Adv Polym Sci. doi: 10.1007/12_2011_123
- 25.Burguenoa R, Quagliata MJ, Mohanty AK, Mehta G, Drzald LT, Misra M (2005) Composites Pt A 36:581Google Scholar
- 29.Nakashima R, Watanabe K, Lee Y, Kim BS, Kim IS (2011) Adv Polym Technol (in press)Google Scholar
- 30.Park S, Lee Y, Kim BS, Kim IS (2011) Adv Polym Technol. doi: 10.1002/adv.20229
- 31.Leech CM (2002) Int J Mech Sci 44:621Google Scholar