Magnetic and dielectric properties of barium ferrite fibers/poly(vinylidene fluoride) composite films
Barium ferrite fibers/poly(vinylidene fluoride) (BaFe12O19/PVDF) composite films were prepared from poly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVDF) resin with different weight percentages (1, 5, 10, 20, 30 wt%) of M-type barium ferrite fibers using N,N-dimethylformamide as a solvent. The structure and morphology of the BaFe12O19/PVDF composite films were characterized by scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction. These results show that BaFe12O19 fibers with diameters around 1 μm and an aspect ratio (length/diameter) of about 50 are well dispersed in the PVDF resin and the dispersed fibers result in a structural change of the PVDF from α to β phase. Measurements of the magnetization of the composite films by using a vibrating sample magnetometer show that these BaFe12O19/PVDF composite films possess a hard magnetic characteristic. The specific saturation magnetization and dielectric loss increase with BaFe12O19 content, whereas the coercivity and dielectric constant of the composite films are less affected. These BaFe12O19/PVDF composite films can combine magnetic, dielectric, and mechanical properties of the BaFe12O19 and PVDF phases.
KeywordsBarium ferrite fibers Poly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVDF) Composite films Magnetic property Dielectric property
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 50674048), China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (Grant No. 20090451169), Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China (Grant No. 20103227110006), and the Jiangsu Province's Postgraduate Cultivation and Innovation Project (Grant No.CX10B-257Z).
- 4.Lovinger AJ (1982) Developments in crystalline polymers. Elsevier, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 5.Nalwa HS (1995) Ferroelectric polymers: chemistry, physics, and applications. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Martha PH (2000) J Magn Magn Mater 215–216:171–183Google Scholar
- 11.Chen YJ, Sakai T, Chen TY, Yoon SD, Geiler AL, Vittoria C, Harris VG (2006) Appl Phys Lett 88:0625l6Google Scholar
- 20.Wang QP, Jiang SL, Zhang YY (2011) Microstructure and morphology in the PVDF films doped with BiCl3. Polym Bull 66:821–830Google Scholar