Thermal, ion-exchange, catalytic and antimicrobial aspects of synthetic oligomer and its polychelates with 4f-block elements
- 71 Downloads
Acetophenone based oligomer was synthesized by condensation of 2-hydroxy-4-ethoxyacetophenone with 1,3-propane diol in the presence of polyphosphoric acid as a catalyst at 145 °C for 10 h. The synthesized oligomer was used to study its ion exchange efficiency and to synthesize its polychelates with 4f-block elements. The oligomer and its polychelates were characterized on the basis of elemental analyses, electronic spectra, magnetic susceptibilities, FTIR, NMR and Thermogravimetric analyses. The Number Average Molecular Weight (\(\overline M n\)) was determined using Vapor Pressure Osmometry (VPO) method. Ion-exchange studies at different electrolyte concentrations, pH and rate have been carried out for 4f-block elements. Antimicrobial activity of polychelates against Escherichia coli, Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus (bacteria) and Saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeast) were measured Catalytic activity of only selected polychelates was examined for organic synthesis. It is observed that, oligomer can be used as an ion – exchanger and polychelates act as an efficient catalysts and antimicrobial agents.
KeywordsPolychelates Thermal study Ion-exchanger Catalysts Anti-microbial study
The authors thank the Heads of the, Department of Chemistry, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, for providing laboratory facilities. One of the authors (MMP) is thankful to UGC, New Delhi, for the award of a junior research fellowship (JRF).
- 5.Dwivedi DK, Shukla RK, Shukla BK (1991) Acta Cienc Indica Chem 17c(14):383 (1992). Chem Abstr 117:142241nGoogle Scholar
- 6.Evans CH (1987) Biochemistry of Lanthanides, 8th edn. Plenum Press, New York and LondonGoogle Scholar
- 7.Horowitz E, Perros JP (1965) J Res Natl Bur Stand 69:1Google Scholar
- 9.Joshi JD, Patel NB, Patel SD (2006) J of Macro Molecular Sci Part A PAC 43(8):1179Google Scholar
- 12.Kriza A, Reiss A, Florea S, Carproin T (2000) J Ind Chem Soc 77:207Google Scholar
- 14.Nikolaev AV, Logvinenko VA, Myachina LT (1969) Thermal Analysis. Academic Press, New York, pp p–779Google Scholar
- 21.Stanier RY (1989) Introduction to the Microbial World, 5th edn. Prentice Hall Inc., N.J., p-16Google Scholar
- 22.Ursu M, Frey H, Neuner I, Thomann R, Rusu M (2004) Rep Romanian Phys 56(3):445Google Scholar
- 23.Vogel AI (1978) A Text Book of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis, 4th edn, Longmans. Green and Co. Ltd., London, pp p–1978Google Scholar