Synthesis and Kinetic Studies on Dimer Fatty Acid/Polyethylene Glycol Polyester
Dimer fatty acid polyethylene glycol polyester, a new kind of non-ionic polymeric surfactant, was synthesized by using dimer fatty acid and polyethylene glycol (400) as materials in this paper. The optimum reaction conditions of esterification were as follows: the molar ratio of dimer fatty acid (DFA)/PEG (400) is 1 / 1.20, the preferable catalyst is stannous chloride and the amount is 0.3% (w/w) of the mass of DFA, reaction temperature is 200°C, reaction time is 6 h. The conversion ratio of polyesterification can reach 98.11%. A new kinetic model of polyesterification reaction catalyzed with stannous chloride was presented. The Genetic Algorithms and Runge–Kutta were used to estimate the parameters of the kinetic model. The results of experiments and computer operations indicated that the reaction order is 0.998 to the carboxyl and 1 order to the hydroxyl. The activation energy obtained from Arrhenius plot is 97.18 kJ mol−1, and the pre-exponential frequency factor is lnA = 21.39 kg2 mol−2 min−1 at temperature range of 160 ∼ 190°C.
Key wordspolyesterification water-soluble polyester kinetic genetic algorithms dimer acid
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of this work granted by Henan Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 0511021000).
- 2.J. Yong, D. Yang and W. Deqing, Progress in Chemistry, 17, 151–156 (2005).Google Scholar
- 3.H. S. Kaufman and J. J. Falctta, Introduction to Polymer Science and Technology, Wiley, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Jo’lenick Jr., Capped Dimer Polyesters in Personal Care Applications. US: 6 800 275, 2004.Google Scholar
- 7.X. L. Wang and L. S. Wang, Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng., 18, 34–41 (2002).Google Scholar