Mansfield's Missing Link: The Impact of Knowledge Spillovers on Firm Growth
- 177 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to provide a link between two of the seminal contributions of Edwin Mansfield. The first focuses on the determinants of firm growth and the second is concerned with university-based knowledge spillovers. By linking both firm-specific characteristics as well as access to knowledge spillovers from universities, the empirical evidence found in this paper suggests that knowledge spillovers as well as firm-specific characteristics influence firm growth.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Audretsch, D.B.and P.E.Stephan,1996,'Company-Scientist Locational Links:The Case of Biotechnology,'American Economic Review 86 (3),641–652.Google Scholar
- Audretsch, D.B., M.Keilbach and E.E.Lehmann,2005, Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth, London: Oxford University Press (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Audretsch, D.B., E.E.Lehmann,and S.Warning,2004,'Uni-versity Spillovers:Does the Kind of Knowledge Matters?,' Industry and Innovation (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Caves,R.,1998,'Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms,'Journal of Economic Literature 36 (4),1947–1982.Google Scholar
- Hall, B.H., A.N.Link, and J.T.Scott,2003,'Universities as Research Partners,'Review of Economics and Statistics (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Jaffe, A.B.,1989,'Real Effects of Academic Research,'American Economic Review 79,957–970.Google Scholar
- Link, A.N. and J.Rees,1991,'Firm Size,University-Based Research,and the Returns to R&D,'Small Business Economics 2,24–31.Google Scholar
- Link, A.N.,and B.Bozeman, 1991,'Innovative Behavior in Small-Sized Firms,'Small Business Economics 3 (3),179–184.Google Scholar
- Mansfield,E.,1962,'Entry,Gibrat 's Law,Innovation,and the Growth of Firms,'American Economic Review 52, 1023–1051.Google Scholar
- Mansfield,E.,1995,'Academic Research Underlying Indus-trial Innovations:Sources,Characteristics,and Financing,' The Review of Economics and Statistics 77,55–65.Google Scholar
- Sutton,J.,1997,'Gibrat 's Legacy,'Journal of Economic Literature 35, 40–59.Google Scholar