On the Proof of Pontryagin’s Maximum Principle by Means of Needle Variations
We propose a proof of the maximum principle for the general Pontryagin type optimal control problem, based on packets of needle variations. The optimal control problem is first reduced to a family of smooth finite-dimensional problems, the arguments of which are the widths of the needles in each packet, then, for each of these problems, the standard Lagrange multipliers rule is applied, and finally, the obtained family of necessary conditions is “compressed” in one universal optimality condition by using the concept of centered family of compacta.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. M. Alekseev, V. M. Tikhomirov, and S. V. Fomin, Optimal Control [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.V. G. Boltyansky, Mathematical Methods of Optimal Control [in Russian], Moscow, Nauka (1969).Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Dmitruk, “Maximum principle for a general optimal control problem with state and regular mixed constraints,” Comput. Math. Modeling, 4, No. 4, 364–377 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Ya. Dubovitskii and A. A. Milyutin, “Extremum problems in the presence of restrictions,” USSR Comput. Math. Math. Phys., 5, No. 3, 1–80 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Ya. Dubovitskii and A. A. Milyutin, “Translations of the Euler equations,” USSR Comput. Math. Math. Phys., 9, No. 6, 1263–1284 (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.I. V. Girsanov, Lectures on the Theory of Extremal Problems [in Russian], Izd. Mosk. Univ., Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Ioffe and V. M. Tikhomirov, Theory of Extremal Problems [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 16.A. S. Matveev and V. A. Yakubovich, Abstract Theory of Optimal Control [in Russian], Izd. Sankt-Peterburg. Univ., Sankt-Petersburg (1994).Google Scholar
- 17.P. Michel, “Une demonstration el´ementaire du principe du maximum de Pontryagin,” Bull. Math. Econom., No. 14, 9–23 (1977).Google Scholar
- 19.A. A. Milyutin, A. V. Dmitruk, and N. P. Osmolovskii, Maximum Principle in Optimal Control [in Russian], Izd. Mekh.-Mat. Fak. MGU, Moscow (2004).Google Scholar
- 20.L. S. Pontryagin, V. G. Boltyansky, R. V. Gamkrelidze, and E. F. Mishchenko, Mathematical Theory of Optimal Processes [in Russian], Moscow, Nauka (1961).Google Scholar
- 21.V. M. Tikhomirov and N. P. Osmolovskii, eds., Optimal control [in Russian], MCCME, Moscow (2008).Google Scholar