Parabolic Subgroups of SO2l Over a Dedekind Ring of Arithmetic Type
- 31 Downloads
Let R be a commutative ring all of whose proper factor rings are finite and such that there exists a unit of infinite order. We show that for a subgroup P in G = SO(2l, R), l ≥ 3, containing the Borel subgroup B, the following alternative holds: either P contains a relative elementary subgroup E I for some ideal I = 0 or H is contained in a proper standard parabolic subgroup. For Dedekind rings of arithmetic type this allows us, under some mild additional assumptions on units, to describe completely the overgroups of B in G. Earlier, similar results for the special linear and symplectiv groups were obtained by A. V. Alexandrov and the second author. The proofs in the present paper follow the same general strategy, but are noticeably harder, from a technical viewpoint. Bibliography: 34 titles.
KeywordsGeneral Strategy Additional Assumption Commutative Ring Parabolic Subgroup Symplectiv Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H. Bass, J. Milnor, and J.-P. Serre, “Solution of the congruence problem for SLn (n ≥ 3) and Sp2n (n ≥ 2),” Matematika, 14, No. 6, 64−128 (1970); 15, No. 1, 44−60 (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.Z. I. Borewicz, “On parabolic subgroups in linear groups over a semilocal ring,'” Vestn. Leningr. Univ, 13, 16−24 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.Z. I. Borewicz, “On parabolic subgroups in the special linear group over a semilocal ring,” Vestn. Leningr. Univ., 19, 29−34 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.Z. I. Borewicz, N. A. Vavilov, and V. Narkevich, “On subgroups of the general linear group over a Dedekind ring,” Zap. Nauchn. Semin. LOMI, 94, 13−20 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Bourbaki, Lie Groups and Algebras [Russian translation], Chaps. IV−VI, Mir, Moscow (1972); Chaps. VII, VIII (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.N. A. Vavilov, “Subgroups of the general linear group over a ring that contain the group of block triangular matrices. I, II,” Vestn. Leningr. Univ., 19, 139−140 (1977); 13, 5−10 (1982).Google Scholar
- 15.N. A. Vavilov and E. B. Plotkin, “Net subgroups of Chevalley groups. I, II,” Zap. Nauchn. Semin. LOMI, 94, 40−49 (1979); 114, 62−76 (1982).Google Scholar
- 18.I. Z. Golubchik, “On subgroups of the general linear group over an associative ring,” in: The All-Union Algebraic Conference, Theses of Reports, 1 (1981), pp. 39−40.Google Scholar
- 21.J.-P. Serre, “The congruence subgroup problem for SL2,” Matematika, 15, No. 6, 12−45 (1971).Google Scholar
- 30.K. Suzuki, “On parabolic subgroups of Chevalley groups over commutative rings,” Sci. Repts Tokyo Kyoiku Daigaku, 13, No. 366−382, 86−97 (1977).Google Scholar
- 33.N. Vavilov, “Intermediate subgroups in Chevalley groups,” in: Proceedings of the Conference on Groups of Lie Type and their Geometries (Como − 1993), Cambridge Univ. Press (1995), pp. 233−280.Google Scholar