Quantization of theories with non-Lagrangian equations of motion
- 49 Downloads
We present an approach to the canonical quantization of systems with non-Lagrangian equations of motion. We first construct an action principle for equivalent first-order equations of motion. Hamiltonization and canonical quantization of the constructed Lagrangian theory is a nontrivial problem, since this theory involves time-dependent constraints. We adapt the general approach to hamiltonization and canonical quantization for such theories (Gitman, Tyutin, 1990) to the case under consideration. There exists an ambiguity (not reduced to a total time derivative) in associating a Lagrange function with a given set of equations. We give a complete description of this ambiguity. It is remarkable that the quantization scheme developed in the case under consideration provides arguments in favor of fixing this ambiguity. Finally, as an example, we consider the canonical quantization of a general quadratic theory. Bibliography: 23 titles.
KeywordsPoisson Bracket Action Principle Lagrange Function Hamiltonian Formulation Quantization Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. A. M. Dirac, “Quantised singularities in the electromagnetic field,” Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond, Ser. A, 133, 60–72 (1931).Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Dodonov, V. I. Man’ko, and V. D. Skarzhinsky, “Arbitrariness in the choice of action and quantization of the given classical equations of motion,” Preprint of the P. N. Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.P. Havas, “The connection between conservation laws and invariance groups: folklore, fiction, and fact,” Actra. Phys. Aust., 38, 145–167 (1973).Google Scholar
- 19.N. A. Chernikov, “The system whose Hamiltonian is a time-dependent quadratic form in coordinates and momenta,” Comm. Joint Inst. Nuclear Res., Dubna (1990).Google Scholar
- 21.V. V. Dodonov, O. V. Man’ko, and V. I. Man’ko, “Quantum nonstationary oscillator: models and applications,” J. Russian Laser Res., 16, 1–56 (1995).Google Scholar
- 22.H. Kim and J. Yee, “Time-dependent driven anharmonic oscillator and adiabaticity,” Phys. Rev. A, 66, 032117 (2002).Google Scholar
- 23.Kyu Hwang Yeon, Chung In Um, and T. F. George, “Time-dependent general quantum quadratic Hamiltonian system,” Phys. Rev. A, 68, 052108 (2003).Google Scholar