Finite Factor Representations of 2-Step Nilpotent Groups and the Orbit Method
- 33 Downloads
In this paper, we describe factor representations of discrete 2-step nilpotent groups with 2-divisible center in the spirit of the orbit method. We show that some standard theorems of the orbit method are valid for these groups. In the case of countable 2-step nilpotent groups we explain how to construct a factor representation starting with an orbit of the “coadjoint representation.” We also prove that every factor representation (more precisely, every trace) can be obtained by this construction, and prove a theorem on the decomposition of a factor representation restricted to a subgroup. Bibliography: 7 titles.
KeywordsNilpotent Group Factor Representation Orbit Method Standard Theorem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Kirillov, “Unitary representations of nilpotent Lie groups,” Uspekhi Mat. Nauk, XVII, No.6, 57–110 (1962).Google Scholar
- 3.M. A. Naimark, Normed Rings [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.S. V. Smirnov, “Positive definite functions on algebraic nilpotent groups over a discrete field,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 170, No.3, 524–525 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Howe, “On representations of discrete, finitely generated, torsion-free, nilpotent groups,” Pacific J. Math., 73, No.2, 281–305 (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Mihailovs, “The orbit method for finite groups of nilpontency class two of odd order,” Preprint; arXiv.org:math.RT/0001092.Google Scholar