Monotone and Accretive Vector Fields on Riemannian Manifolds
- 209 Downloads
The relationship between monotonicity and accretivity on Riemannian manifolds is studied in this paper and both concepts are proved to be equivalent in Hadamard manifolds. As a consequence an iterative method is obtained for approximating singularities of Lipschitz continuous, strongly monotone mappings. We also establish the equivalence between the strong convexity of functions and the strong monotonicity of its subdifferentials on Riemannian manifolds. These results are then applied to solve the minimization of convex functions on Riemannian manifolds.
KeywordsHadamard manifold Monotone vector field Accretive vector field Singularity Fixed point Iterative algorithm Convex function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Rapcsák, T.: Smooth Nonlinear Optimization in ℝn. Nonconvex Optimization and Its Applications, vol. 19. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (1997) Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, S.T.: Optimization Techniques on Riemannian Manifolds. Fields Institute Communications, vol. 3, pp. 113–146. American Mathematical Society, Providence (1994) Google Scholar
- 11.Sturm, K.T.: Probability measures on metric spaces of nonpositive curvature. In: Heat Kernels and Analysis on Manifolds, Graphs, and Metric Spaces, Paris, 2002. Contemp. Math., vol. 338, pp. 357–390. Am. Math. Soc., Providence (2003) Google Scholar
- 27.DoCarmo, M.P.: Riemannian Geometry. Birkhauser, Boston (1992) Google Scholar
- 32.Chidume, C.E.: Iterative approximation of the solution of a monotone operator equation in certain Banach spaces. International Centre for Theorical Physics IC/88/22 (1988) Google Scholar
- 34.Polyak, B.T.: Existence theorems and convergence of minimizing sequences in extremun problems with restrictions. Dokl. Akad. Nauk. USSR 166, 287–290 (1966) Google Scholar
- 35.Li, C., Mordukhovich, B.S., Wang, J.H., Yao, J.C.: Weak sharp minima on Riemannian manifolds. SIAM J. Optim. (submitted) Google Scholar