Overlapping Generations Model with Endogenous Labor Supply: General Formulation
- 282 Downloads
This paper develops a one-sector overlapping generations model with endogenous labor supply and nonseparable preferences. It demonstrates that local indeterminacy arises easily under gross substitutability as soon as there exist multiple steady states. We show also that, depending on whether leisure and second-period consumption are gross substitutes, local indeterminacy holds for very different parameter configurations. If gross substitutability is satisfied, the existence of multiple equilibrium paths requires the share of capital in the total income to be strong enough with respect to the elasticity of capital-labor substitution. On the other hand, if gross substitutability is violated, local indeterminacy necessitates the share of capital in the total income to be weak enough with respect to the elasticity of capital-labor substitution.
KeywordsIndeterminacy endogenous cycles overlapping generations endogenous labor supply
- 2.WOODFORD, M., Stationary Sunspot Equilibria: The Case of Small Fluctuations around a Deterministic Steady State, Mimeo, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.DIAMOND, P. A., National Debt in a Neoclassical Growth Model, American Economic Review, Vol. 55, pp. 1126–1150, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.LLOYD-BRAGA, T., Increasing Returns to Scale and Nonlinear Endogenous Fluctuations, Working Paper 65, FCEE, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, Lisbon, Portugal, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.MEDIO, A., and NEGRONI, G., Chaotic Dynamics in Overlapping Generations Models with Production, Nonlinear Dynamics and Economics, Edited by W. A. Barnett, A. Kirman, and M. Salmon, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 3–44, 1966.Google Scholar
- 13.NOURRY, C., and VENDITTI, A., The Overlapping Generations Model with Endogenous Labor Supply: A Dynamic Equilibrium Analysis, Working Paper GREQAM 01A17, Marseille, France, 2001. Available at http://www.vcharite.univmrs.fr/greqam/papers/paper_fr.php?annee=2001.