Characterization of Dominant Hydrogen Bonded Complex Structures of Dielectric Polarization and Viscous Flow Processes in Glycerol–Formamide Binary Mixtures
- 114 Downloads
The static permittivity and viscosity of glycerol–formamide (Gly–FA) binary mixtures were measured at eleven concentrations over the entire composition range and at temperatures T=288.15, 303.15, 318.15 and 333.15 K. The excess static permittivity and excess viscosity of the mixtures were determined using the mole-fraction additive mixture law. Results indicated that the molecular dielectric polarization in Gly–FA mixtures is governed by 1:1 complexes with a decrease in number of H-bonded parallel aligned dipolar ordering at all of the investigated temperatures. The 2Gly:FA complexes facilitate the viscous flow process and the number of these complexes decreases with increasing temperature. The apparent activation energy of viscous flow, determined from Arrhenius plots, increases with increases of the Gly concentration in the mixtures. The electric-field-induced increment of the Helmholtz free energy and the entropy of these binary mixtures were determined from the temperature dependence of the static permittivity and its derivative, respectively.
KeywordsStatic permittivity Viscosity Molecular interactions Thermodynamical parameters Glycerol Formamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 19.Sengwa, R.J., Khatri, V., Sankhla, S.: Dielectric behavior and hydrogen bond molecular interaction study of formamide-dipolar solvents binary mixtures. J. Mol. Liq. 144, 89–96 (2009) Google Scholar
- 23.Sengwa, R.J., Khatri, V., Sankhla, S.: Structures and hydrogen bonding analysis of the binary mixtures of N,N-dimethylformamide with some dipolar aprotic and protic solvents by dielectric characterization. Indian J. Chem. A 48, 512–519 (2009) Google Scholar
- 24.Sengwa, R.J., Khatri, V., Sankhla, S.: Static dielectric constant, excess dielectric properties, and Kirkwood correlation factor of water–amides and water–amines binary mixtures. Proc. Indian Natl. Sci. Acad. 74, 67–72 (2008) Google Scholar
- 27.Sengwa, R.J., Khatri, V., Choudhary, S., Sankhla, S.: Temperature dependent static dielectric constant and viscosity behavior of glycerol–amide binary mixtures: characterization of dominant complex structures in dielectric polarization and viscous flow processes. J. Mol. Liq. 154, 117–123 (2010) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Hill, N.E., Vaughan, W.E., Price, A.H., Davies, M.: Dielectric Properties and Molecular Behavior, pp. 316–317. Van Nostrand Reinhold, London (1969) Google Scholar
- 31.Ghosh, R., Choudhary, I.: Relaxation time and thermodynamical parameter of ethylene glycol and glycerol. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. India 51A, 471–476 (1981) Google Scholar
- 32.Scaife, B.K.P.: Principles of Dielectrics. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1998) Google Scholar