An Investigation on the Molecular Dynamics of Binary Mixtures of Anisole with Acetic and Propionic Acids
Temperature dependent dielectric studies were carried out from 303 to 323 K for mixtures of anisole with acetic acid and with propionic acid, in order to investigate the molecular dynamics of these molecules. The low-frequency molecular dynamics of these molecules have been studied by computing some dielectric parameters such as the Kirkwood correlation factor, Bruggeman parameter, excess permittivity and excess Helmholtz energy. The observed Kirkwood effective correlation factor for both binary mixtures at all concentrations and temperatures were found to be less than unity. Negative values of the Bruggeman parameter were obtained for mixtures of anisole with acetic acid whereas positive values were obtained for the mixtures of anisole with propionic acid. The formation of β-multimers, with anti-parallel dipolar orientations, was identified in the above binary mixtures. This investigation showed that changes of temperature did not produce any significant structural changes over the studied temperature interval.
KeywordsPermittivity Kirkwood correlation factor Excess permittivity Bruggeman parameter Excess Helmholtz energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Riddick, J.A., Bunger, W.B., Sakano, T.K.: Organic Solvents: Physical Properties and Methods of Purification, vol. 2, 4th edn. Wiley-Interscience, New York (1986) Google Scholar
- 6.Thenappan, T., Sankar, U.: Studies on fluid structure and molecular interactions of amides. Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 42, 435–439 (2004) Google Scholar
- 7.CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 78th edn. CRC, Boca Raton (1997–1998) Google Scholar
- 9.Frohilich, H.: Theory of Dielectrics. Oxford University Press, London (1949) Google Scholar
- 18.Gupta, K.K., Basal, A.K., Singh, P.J., Sharma, K.S.: Study of molecular interaction in binary mixtures of acetophone derivative and cyclohexyl amine. Indian J. Phys. 79, 147–152 (2005) Google Scholar
- 19.Varadarajan, R., Rajagopal, A.: Dipolar excess thermodynamic parameters and Kirkwood-Frohlich correlation factor of monoalcohols. Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 36, 113–118 (1998) Google Scholar
- 20.Acharya, S., Dash, S.K., Swain, B.B.: Dielectric investigation in binary mixtures involving a nuclear extractant di-isobutyl ketone (DIBK) and nonpolar solvents. Indian J. Phys. 72B, 239–247 (1998) Google Scholar
- 21.Garabadu, K., Swain, B.B.: Dielectric response of some long-chain alcohols in non-polar solvents. Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys. 31, 741–743 (1993) Google Scholar