Partition Equilibria for Alcohols in Reverse Micellar AOT-Oil-Water Systems Studied by PGSE-FT NMR. A Comparison Between AOT-containing and the Corresponding AOT-free Systems
- 128 Downloads
Microemulsions of the reverse micellar type were investigated by determining the self-diffusion coefficients of the components using the Pulsed Field Gradient Spin Echo – Fourier Transform NMR method (PGSE-FT NMR). The microemulsions were composed of the surfactant AOT, water and an oil (either benzene or cyclohexane), forming a water core in an oil continuum. The primary alcohols ranging from methanol to 1-decanol were added to the microemulsions as a fourth component. The degree of binding, p, of the alcohol to the micelles was determined from the measured self-diffusion coefficients for this component. Partition equilibrium constants were calculated from the values of p. Thermodynamic partition equilibrium constants, K c , calculated from the partition coefficients are presented and compared with values based on literature data for AOT-free systems. Similarities and differences between these cases are revealed and interpreted.
KeywordsAOT Microemulsion Primary alcohols PGSE-FT NMR Partition equilibria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Prince, L.M.: In: Prince, L.M. (ed.) Microemulsions, pp. 1–32. Academic Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 2.Evans, D.F., Wennerström, H.: The Colloidal Domain. VCH Publishers Inc., New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Bansal, V.K., Shah, D.O.: In: Prince, L. M. (ed.) Microemulsions, pp. 149–173. Academic Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 12.von Meerwall, E.D.: Self-diffusion in polymer systems, measured with field-gradient spin echo NMR methods. Adv. Polym. Sci. 54, 1–29 (1984)Google Scholar
- 14.Masaro, L., Zhu, X.X.: Pulsed field gradient NMR spectroscopy in the study of self-diffusion in polymer systems. Can. J. Anal. Sci. Spectrosc. 43, 81–89 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.von Meerwall, E.D.: How good is the bead-spring model? J. Non-Cryst. Solids 131–133, 551–555 (1991)Google Scholar
- 22.Stilbs, P., Lindman, B.: NMR measurements on microemulsions. Progr. Colloid Polymer Sci. 69, 39–47 (1984)Google Scholar
- 24.C.R.C. Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 84th Ed. (2003–2004)Google Scholar