A heuristic method for the vehicle routing problem with mixed deliveries and pickups
- 373 Downloads
The vehicle routing problem with deliveries and pickups is a challenging extension to the vehicle routing problem that lately attracted growing attention in the literature. This paper investigates the relationship between two versions of this problem, called “mixed” and “simultaneous”. In particular, we wish to know whether a solution algorithm designed for the simultaneous case can solve the mixed case. To this end, we implement a metaheuristic based on reactive tabu search. The results suggest that this approach can yield good results.
KeywordsVehicle routing Deliveries and pickups Heuristic Reactive tabu search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Battiti, R., & Tecchioli, G. (1994). Reactive tabu search. ORSA Journal on Computing, 6, 126–140. Google Scholar
- Gillett, B. E., & Miller, L. R. (1974). A heuristic algorithm for the vehicle-dispatch problem. Operations Research, 22, 340–349. Google Scholar
- Glover, F., & Laguna, M. (1997). Tabu search. New York: Kluwer. Google Scholar
- Halse, K. (1992). Modelling and solving complex vehicle routing problems. PhD thesis, Institute of Mathematical Statistics and Operations Research, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby. Google Scholar
- Nagy, G. (1996). Heuristic methods for the many-to-many location-routing problem. PhD thesis, School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham. Google Scholar
- Toth, P., & Vigo, D. (2002). VRP with backhauls. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), The vehicle routing problem (pp. 195–224). Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. Google Scholar
- Wade, A. C. (2002). Constructive and ant system heuristics for a class of vehicle routing problems with backhauls. PhD thesis, School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham. Google Scholar
- Wade, A. C., & Salhi, S. (2003). An ant system algorithm for the mixed vehicle routing problem with backhauls. In M. G. Resende & J. P. de Sousa (Eds.), Metaheuristics: computer decision-making (pp 699–719). New York: Kluwer. Google Scholar